Temple recommends not showing activated

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mprusse

Temple recommends not showing activated

Post by mprusse »

We have an issue in our ward with temple recommends not showing as activated. The problem first occurred with one brother several months ago. His temple recommend kept showing in MLS as expired. When we inquired he reminded us that he renewed his recommend with both the ward & stake AND that he has gone to the temple with his new recommend. In other words, the temple computer OKd his recommend and he was admitted. However, to this day his recommend still shows in MLS as expired. A call to to church HQ resulted in them informing me (bishop) that the stake simply never scanned the recommend. That didn't seem plausible since he was admitted to the temple. We have never been able to resolve this situation.

Now, just in the last week, we have discovered approximately 7 more ward members with the exact same problem. The bishopric interviewed them and sent them to the stake for interviews. After visiting with several of these members today at church, they all acknowledged that they not only received their stake interview but also had been to the temple with their new recommends. MLS is still showing them with expired recommends and they have not showed up on the activation list.

Before returning to church HQ with this problem, has anyone seen or heard of this before? Are there measures we can take at ward level to try and alleviate this problem.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

macsense wrote:We have an issue in our ward with temple recommends not showing as activated.
Before returning to church HQ with this problem, has anyone seen or heard of this before? Are there measures we can take at ward level to try and alleviate this problem.

There's nothing you can do at the ward level, but the stake can (and should) do a couple of things before anyone calls CHQ:
  1. First, a stake clerk should check in stake MLS to see if their Activation Report shows that these people have actually had their recommends activated in Stake MLS.
    • If they are not in Stake MLS, then it is possible the stake did neglect to scan the recommends, or that something went wrong in Stake MLS and the activations were never transmitted. In this case, it seems like the stake should attempt to activate them again.
    • If the activations appear in Stake MLS, then it is an issue of communication between Stake MLS and your ward's MLS. That's probably an issue for the stake clerk or STS to work out with Clerk Support.
  2. Also, someone with access to TES (a stake presidency member or the stake clerk) should check in TES to see if it says anything different from Stake MLS.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I have just recently dealt with a similar problem. In our case it was (some) recommends not showing up as activated when they indeed were via TES. We encountered this issue twice, both when recommends were activated by the 1st Councilor in the Stake Presidency. The first time he entered over 7 recommends and some of them showed up as activated on the Activation Report on the stake computer and some of them didn't. I contacted a Brother in Salt Lake who deals with recommends and he began researching the issue. While he did the research in Salt Lake I went ahead and re-entered the recommends via MLS and they then showed up on the activation report. The Brother in Salt Lake emailed me back that they could not find a problem so we began wondering if it was the Stake 1st Councilors' computer.....but, on the 1st of November the 1st Councilor activated another recommend via TES from his home computer. I checked on the 7th of November (after doing a send/recieve) on the stake activation report and the recommend did not show activated. Before entering the recommend into MLS I talked with the same Brother as before as Salt Lake and he looked up the recommend and it showed on their computer as activated on the 1st of November. The Brother did another research of the problem and called me back and said that there is a problem with a disconnect between what is entered via TES to Salt Lake and what gets back to the units MLS.

Bottom line, what macsense described in his post is apparently not unique. I am hesitant to give out the individuals name that I have been working with in Salt Lake (don't know if that is proper or not) but Alan if you want to talk with him and find out more details I will be glad via personal email or message to give you his name and email address.

Jim
bkcash-p40

Post by bkcash-p40 »

We are having the same problem as mentioned above. Recommends activated via TES (the website) are not showing as active or renewed in MLS. I have been watching this for a couple of weeks now and it is definitely an issue with the recommend data transferring from TES to MLS. I'm not sure where the breakdown is, but it is interfering with our ability to accurately track temple recommend renewals.
B. Kelly Cash
Stake Clerk
Leesburg Florida Stake
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bkcash wrote:We are having the same problem as mentioned above. Recommends activated via TES (the website) are not showing as active or renewed in MLS.
Most of ours activated at TES are showing up in MLS, but not all. I have not yet been able to figure out anything in common with those that did not update to MLS.

In most cases, MLS eventually updates after a few weeks.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”