LUWS email system update

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
ShirtsDre

LUWS email system update

Post by ShirtsDre »

The email system for LUWS has been updated a bit:
  • The most visible change will be the new footer sent on every email.
  • Users now have the ability to fully opt out from receiving email on LUWS by updating their user profile. The notification preferences in the user profile are now followed correctly.
  • Admin users will still receive all emails meant for admins even if they have opted out. This is required to allow them to do their calling.
  • Emails of deceased, excommunicated, address unknown, or disabled users will no longer be included in any email sent from LUWS.
  • SPF (Sender Policy Framework) acceptance should now improve, allowing users to get their email in their inbox versus not at all or in their spam or junk folder.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

Is it overkill to say you're my new best friend? :D
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

13thfloorrocks wrote:Is it overkill to say you're my new best friend? :D
I'm glad you approve. Many people came together to help in this effort.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
nbflint

Suggestion: LUWS Email System

Post by nbflint »

I know that ward website administrators can not change users' e-mail addresses; but is there anyway that invalid e-mail addresses can be deactivated? Every time an event is added to the ward website the admin is assaulted with "User not found" emails from various email servers.

While I understand not giving the site admins direct access to do this; perhaps a process where the admin could report the e-mail address and someone at CHQ could do something about the offending e-mail address.

Thanks.

ShirtsDre

Disable accounts that have bad email addresses

Post by ShirtsDre »

nimebe wrote:I know that ward website administrators can not change users' e-mail addresses; but is there anyway that invalid e-mail addresses can be deactivated? Every time an event is added to the ward website the admin is assaulted with "User not found" emails from various email servers.

While I understand not giving the site admins direct access to do this; perhaps a process where the admin could report the e-mail address and someone at CHQ could do something about the offending e-mail address.

Thanks.
Within the ward admin tools, open the "Registered Users" list. Check the user that has an invalid email and then click "Submit". The email will no longer be included in any email sent from LUWS.

Please note: users that have been disabled will NOT be able to sign in to LUWS. The only way to allow them back in is to enable them by unchecking them in the "Registered Users" list. It is strongly suggested that you personally contact the user by snail mail, by phone, or in person to get a corrected email address.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:It is strongly suggested that you personally contact the user by snail mail, by phone, or in person to get a corrected email address.
Uh, you mean to get them to promise to correct their email address. Since the Admin can't change the email, getting it will accomplish nothing - or am I missing something?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

RussellHltn wrote:Uh, you mean to get them to promise to correct their email address. Since the Admin can't change the email, getting it will accomplish nothing - or am I missing something?
You are correct. If they desire to continue signing in, they will need to update it after you enable their account. If they choose not to update their email address to a working address you can just disable their account until they ask for it to be enabled.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:You are correct. If they desire to continue signing in, they will need to update it after you enable their account. If they choose not to update their email address to a working address you can just disable their account until they ask for it to be enabled.
Unfortunately, for the rank-and-file member, I fear the result will be they simply won't use LUWS anymore. Finding out why they can't log in is too much work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

RussellHltn wrote:Unfortunately, for the rank-and-file member, I fear the result will be they simply won't use LUWS anymore. Finding out why they can't log in is too much work.
I'm glad to find out there is some recourse we can take. Thank you for that.

I'd rather be able to flag the account to disallow sending of e-mail from LUWS; then when the user logs in the next time, require them to update their e-mail address.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nimebe wrote:I'd rather be able to flag the account to disallow sending of e-mail from LUWS; then when the user logs in the next time, require them to update their e-mail address.
Yes, that would be a significant improvement.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”