Email and Telephone Contact Details in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
cottrells

Email and Telephone Contact Details in MLS

Post by cottrells »

Are there plans to alter the way MLS handles email and telephone contact details?

Currently only one email for a household can be recorded. The same goes for phones numbers. Although there are two phone number fields, if two are listed they are the same for all members of the household. However the reality is that many members have their own mobile number and email address.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And is there a way to connect this to the ward website so that the member can update their email address in MLS?
Moroni-p40

Post by Moroni-p40 »

In the secondary phone field I have placed 2 phone numbers separated by a comma.
Not sure how many characters the field allows, but you could store them that way.

Not sure if the email field allows this.
Moroni Pickering
Software Developer/Engineer/Programmer
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

cottrells wrote:Are there plans to alter the way MLS handles email and telephone contact details?

Currently only one email for a household can be recorded. The same goes for phones numbers. Although there are two phone number fields, if two are listed they are the same for all members of the household. However the reality is that many members have their own mobile number and email address.
Yes!!! This certainly can cause frustration for those couples that only have cell phones. Usually the husband's is listed first and on any printouts that are printed, the husband's number prints and the wife's does not. If you wish to contact the wife, you have to call the husband, leave a message if his phone is off, wait for him to return the call, then obtain the wife's number. If the MLS Software would allow both numbers to show in any printouts, that would be wonderful!
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

This is a pretty common complaint in my area too. There are several little work-arounds that you can do, like sperating multiple numbers with a comma, but it would still be an improvement to just be able to list multiple numbers.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

In the ward where I was clerk before being called as stake clerk, I had at least one family a month change from a home landline phone to individual cell phones. The email address is also a severe problem. We run the range from the parents of a family being totally computer illiterate to families where every family member has several email addresses.
cottrells

Hallelujah

Post by cottrells »

cottrells wrote:Are there plans to alter the way MLS handles email and telephone contact details?

Can I just say a BIG THANK YOU for the latest changes in MLS, particularly to the oft requested change of personal telephone and email details. :D
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

cottrells wrote:Can I just say a BIG THANK YOU for the latest changes in MLS, particularly to the oft requested change of personal telephone and email details. :D
Agreed. This was a long-awaited upgrade and I'm sure it wasn't an easy fix, especially from a database perspective.
margiestroble

Alright!

Post by margiestroble »

I am thrilled to hear about this :)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”