scout troop website / troop webmaster

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
EricH-p40

scout troop website / troop webmaster

Post by EricH-p40 »

There is a new troop leadership position in the BSA called "troop webmaster" (see http://www.lds-scouts.org/Resources/S_T ... pPosns.pdf ). It is described as this:
"The troop webmaster is responsible for maintaining the troop’s website. He should make sure that information posted on the website is correct and up to date and that members’ and leaders’ privacy is protected. A member of the troop committee may assist him with his work."
A scout in our ward's scout troop was given this leadership position and wants to start putting together the troop website. I have done some Google searching a found a few LDS scout troop sites. Some seem to own their own domain names.

I think a good troop website would have photos, calendars, achievement rosters, event information, and the like. However, my concern is the privacy of the scouts. Would it be appropriate to build such a site and list only first names of the scouts? Or maybe the site should not be public and should require registration and username/password? Or does that make it too cumbersome for any of the scouts or their parents?

What would be our hosting options? Google pages seems to be a good starting point. I don't think the official lds.org ward web site gives enough options to build a troop site - it seems very limited in that regard.

With this new leadership position "troop webmaster", I believe there will be a lot of LDS troops asking these same questions soon ...
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You will find that a web presence for an LDS troop is not permitted. Refer to the Authorized Church Web Sites, 13 December 2004, policy letter. It specifically prohibits Scout units from having a web site. This policy letter has not been superceded or amended.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EricH wrote:However, my concern is the privacy of the scouts. Would it be appropriate to build such a site and list only first names of the scouts? Or maybe the site should not be public and should require registration and username/password? Or does that make it too cumbersome for any of the scouts or their parents?

I'd review the Authorized Church Web Sites policy, which specifically mentions Scout units among the groups that are not have web sites outside of lds.org.
EricH-p40

Post by EricH-p40 »

Okay, we'll follow the policy. I think we'll change the leadership position from Troop Webmaster to Troop Historian and have him do a periodic report or newsletter that is just printed and given to the boys and their parents.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EricH wrote:Okay, we'll follow the policy. I think we'll change the leadership position from Troop Webmaster to Troop Historian and have him do a periodic report or newsletter that is just printed and given to the boys and their parents.
Although the term "Webmaster" might not apply, you could assign a scout to work with the ward website administrator. That way the scout troop could have a web presence on the authorized ward website. He could do several things to make sure there is useful, accurate content on the ward website on lds.org, such as:
  • Provide details for scouting events on the ward calendar
  • Create a newsletter in PDF format to be posted in New and Information
  • Make sure the scouting positions in the Leadership Directory are correct
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:Although the term "Webmaster" might not apply, you could assign a scout to work with the ward website administrator. That way the scout troop could have a web presence on the authorized ward website. He could do several things to make sure there is useful, accurate content on the ward website on lds.org, such as:
  • Provide details for scouting events on the ward calendar
  • Create a newsletter in PDF format to be posted in New and Information
  • Make sure the scouting positions in the Leadership Directory are correct
Great suggestion! I am always trying to find ways to increase the interest in the web site. In fact after I think over the possible problems, I may try to interest other organizations in calling someone to work with me on the web site to benefit their unit....
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

The only remaining issue with this position in terms of the LDS units is that a web site for a scout unit is among the listed web sites that are not permitted.

You can reference the policy on web sites that the Church has published at THIS location.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think they're talking about using LUWS, not a normal "website".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
shamill70

TroopMaster Web

Post by shamill70 »

Troopmaster Software has launched a secure site for troop's to upload their databases in order to allow access to view certain parts of each scout's information based upon the configuration. The site is buried under the Troopmaster site and one has to know the troop's customer number in order to attempt to login. As this does not post any information publicly and the site is secure and encrypted, what is the policy for using it?
We launced the site several weeks ago and all who have logged in have found it to be very useful. My wife and I are the Advancement Co-Chairs and are the only ones allowed to make changes to advancement. Furthermore, parents without callings in the YM organization are allowed to only view their scouts' personal information.
We will discontinue use immediately if this is not allowed...
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

shamill70 wrote:Troopmaster Software has launched a secure site for troop's to upload their databases in order to allow access to view certain parts of each scout's information based upon the configuration. The site is buried under the Troopmaster site and one has to know the troop's customer number in order to attempt to login. As this does not post any information publicly and the site is secure and encrypted, what is the policy for using it?
We launced the site several weeks ago and all who have logged in have found it to be very useful. My wife and I are the Advancement Co-Chairs and are the only ones allowed to make changes to advancement. Furthermore, parents without callings in the YM organization are allowed to only view their scouts' personal information.
We will discontinue use immediately if this is not allowed...
I suggest you speak with your local PHD leadership regarding their interpretation of the current POLICY. All we can here in the forum is refer you to what's been made available.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “General Discussions”