Sacrament music

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
b-lward-p40

Sacrament music

Post by b-lward-p40 »

Some of the wards I have been in have the organist play music after the Sacrament is passed while the young men return to their seats and some don't. Does anyone know what the policy is or if it really matters?:confused: I thought I had read somewhere that there is not supposed to be music playing at that time but I can't find where I read it.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

b-lward wrote:Some of the wards I have been in have the organist play music after the Sacrament is passed while the young men return to their seats and some don't. Does anyone know what the policy is or if it really matters?:confused: I thought I had read somewhere that there is not supposed to be music playing at that time but I can't find where I read it.
I would believe that whether or not music (appropriate music) is played following the sacrament is a choice made by the Bishop/Stake President. You might find some help HEREregarding music in the ward.. I would also suggest the Church Handbook of Instructions, which the Bishop has a copy of.
b-lward-p40

Post by b-lward-p40 »

I have been to the handbook online and to the other link you gave me. I haven't been able to find anything there. Thanks, though.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

b-lward wrote:I have been to the handbook online...
I hope there's no Church Handbook of Instructions online. If there is, it's certainly not an official copy from the Church.
topsgtret

Post by topsgtret »

As a recently released Bishop: CHI pg 38, one sentence addresses the playing of music. "No music should be played during the prayer or while the sacrament is being passed." I do not like the playing afterward while priesthood holders return to their families, but at least one bishop in the stake does. It is a priesthood leader's call.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

We use pristhood stay at their sits untill conducting leader stand up to announce the following talks. Some leader also espress thanks to brothers who served for Sacrament and invite them to reach their places, before talks announce.
So no music is plaid when they leave sacrament places. Conducting leader is standing on the pulpit announcing following talks.
I think that is up to leader's sensibility to feel if music enforce or broke reverence's spirit.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “General Discussions”