Webcast "link failure"

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
DeeGardiner

Webcast "link failure"

Post by DeeGardiner »

During our last stake webcast we experienced three link failures that required me to reboot the communicator. I have not been able to find documentation that indicates what could cause a link failure. Is it a failure in the communicator itself? Or is it a problem with our Internet connection?
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

Without knowing more it is hard to say. But the most likely suspect is you ISP. Most likely your connection went down which caused the link failure to occur. But again it is hard to say without knowing more. Set it up and do a test webcast again and see what happens.
Troy
wendler_s52-p40

connection loss

Post by wendler_s52-p40 »

we have done webcast last 3 stake conferences and have lost connection at least once each time.
also get disconnected video and audio and frozen periods. very frustrating.
when we view webcast from home computers, reception is much better.
I am wondering if the firewall/vpn is part of the problem in both situations, transmission and reception?
sheldon
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Our ward along with another in Canada, participated in a webcast with Elder Bednar last year. It was a quite an experience. When I was first setting up the equipment we had problems with maintaining a good solid DSL signal into the chapel.

When we were testing the setup, a couple of days prior to the broadcast we ran a 120 foot CAT 5 cable from the modem in our Family History room to the chapel. This was a disaster. The run was too long and the signal dropouts were occuring every few seconds.

So I discarded the CAT 5 and ran a long telephone cable from the FH room to the chapel. I moved the modem to the chapel and used a short CAT 5 cable from the modem to the webcast equipment and it worked perfectly. I concluded that the length of the telephone cable was insignificant as long as our original DSL signal was stable, which it was. We were running a business DSL and our speeds are very good.

Just a thought.
dvester

Post by dvester »

Techgy wrote:When we were testing the setup, a couple of days prior to the broadcast we ran a 120 foot CAT 5 cable from the modem in our Family History room to the chapel. This was a disaster. The run was too long and the signal dropouts were occuring every few seconds.

So I discarded the CAT 5 and ran a long telephone cable from the FH room to the chapel. I moved the modem to the chapel and used a short CAT 5 cable from the modem to the webcast equipment and it worked perfectly. I concluded that the length of the telephone cable was insignificant as long as our original DSL signal was stable, which it was. We were running a business DSL and our speeds are very good.

Hmmm, I question your conclusion that it was the length of the cat5 cable. A 120 foot run should be absolutely no problem. You might want to check the cat5 cable, the connectors, is the cable built right (Cat5 cables for data are not straight through cables, and if you run a straight through cable, you will run into data rate problems).

Is the cat5 cable run near a source of interference? Cable crushed or kinked at some time and then straightened out? This can leave a cable damaged.

Bad switch or hub on one or both ends of the cat5 cable?

At the relatively low data rates needed for video data transmission (compared to high speed data 50 times faster than video that cat5 is capable of), cat5 should work extremely well at distances of over 500 feet.

Dan

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”