monitor resolution

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
farwest

monitor resolution

Post by farwest »

our family history people are saying they need new flat screen monitors because the old monitors won't work with the new family history program because the resolution speed is to slow. Seems strange that the church would come out with a new program that won't work correctly on our monitors considering the cutbacks in FM.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

farwest wrote:our family history people are saying they need new flat screen monitors because the old monitors won't work with the new family history program because the resolution speed is to slow.
New Family Search works fine on my old monitor. I think I would tell them you will replace the monitors at the same time you replace the rasslefratz wham drivers. And that it will be scheduled by the FM Group based on budget solvency. [grin]
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

farwest wrote:our family history people are saying they need new flat screen monitors because the old monitors won't work with the new family history program because the resolution speed is to slow. Seems strange that the church would come out with a new program that won't work correctly on our monitors considering the cutbacks in FM.
The speed at which a monitor refreshes the screen is measured in Hertz. When the refresh rate is set below 70 Hertz on a CRT monitor most people will see a flicker on the screen but it will in no way affect the performance of a program. Resolution is a measure of the number of pixels displayed in the dimensions of width and height. Even an old 15 inch CRT can display 800 X 600 pixels, the minimum necessary to adequately display any newFamilySearch page.

I suspect they are complaining about how fast the screen renders when a change is made to what is displayed. That performance is affected by other hardware on the computer such as the graphics board, or chip, the CPU, RAM, motherboard design and even Internet connection speed and not the monitor. Increasing the amount of RAM to at least 1GB will give satisfactory performance for most computers with at least a 500MHz CPU.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Even an old 15 inch CRT can display 800 X 600 pixels, the minimum necessary to adequately display any newFamilySearch page.
I tried logging into nFS with 800 x 600 and got a pop-up that said it was too low. The minimum is 1024 x 768.

There's a few things to check first:

Verify you have the proper video card drivers. Having the wrong drivers can limit the display resolution.

Check to see if you need to change the monitor in Device Manager. Most times "Plug and Play" monitor seems to work OK.

If in fact the flat screen monitors are unable to go to 1024 x 768, then assuming this is in a regular FHC (and not something created by the local leadership), I'd suggest calling Family History Center support and see what they have to say. However, you might find that you'll have to change out the monitor with local funds. The Family History Department tries to help out, but unless the policy has changed, they are only obligated for a single computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:I tried logging into nFS with 800 x 600 and got a pop-up that said it was too low. The minimum is 1024 x 768.
If 1024 X 768 is the minimum resolution required, then a FHC would have to have a really old monitor or graphics adapter not to be able to get that resolution. We have two systems with 15 inch monitors and newFamilySearch works fine on them. They are a bit small but nFS can be displayed.

If farwest's people are getting the pop-up that indicates the resolution is too low they should first try changing the resolution to the 1024 X 768 setting. If that is not available and the latest drivers for the monitor and graphics adapter are installed then a new monitor would need to be upgraded.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
farwest

checking it out

Post by farwest »

Our tech man is going over and checking out the computers and monitors using your suggestions. thanks for the help

Return to “Clerk Computers”