checks print gobbledeygook?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
myerm-p40

checks print gobbledeygook?

Post by myerm-p40 »

We're on our third week of being unable to print checks properly. They print gobbledygook (it's not in my spell check), and little squares. Also wrong numbers, etc.

We first thought it was a virus; scanned the computer several times. It even outputs .pdf files with the garbage as well.

Our Stake computer dude suggested we reinstall MLS, which we did to no avail.

FYI, we only have MLS and related software; nothing untoward on the machine. But I'm afraid I need to take the MLS training again. Help!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

myerm wrote:We're on our third week of being unable to print checks properly. They print gobbledygook (it's not in my spell check), and little squares. Also wrong numbers, etc.

We first thought it was a virus; scanned the computer several times. It even outputs .pdf files with the garbage as well.
What you describe in your first paragraph sounds like the incorrect printer driver is selected for your printer in Windows. To see if you have the right print driver, go to Start > Control Panel > Printers and Faxes, right click on the printer, choose Properties, then click Print Test Page.

If that prints garbage, then the problem has nothing to do with MLS. You need to either select a new printer driver (under the Advanced tab of the printer's Properties) or reinstall the printer driver from the original CD.
myerm-p40

Post by myerm-p40 »

Wow, thanks so much for the quick reply! I hadn't considered such a simple thing as the printer driver. I'll add a dash of faith, just to be sure.

Thanks for adding a bit of simplicity to an otherwise nearly insurmountable pile of tasks.
marc
myerm-p40

Post by myerm-p40 »

Bad news: Our clerks have already done that, and it was unsuccessful.
It's nice to have such responsive brethren just an email away!

I'm wide open to any other ideas, no matter how outlandish. Apparently, threatening the computer does not work either.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Have you tried printing to that printer with applications other than MLS, such as OpenOffice?

What happens if you go to Settings -> Printers in Windows and print a test page?
myerm-p40

Post by myerm-p40 »

hey, I'll give that a shot. I already know crying doesn't help.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

myerm wrote:hey, I'll give that a shot. I already know crying doesn't help.

Also, within MLS, does this problem occur only when printing checks, or when printing anything at all?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

myerm wrote:Bad news: Our clerks have already done that, and it was unsuccessful.
What does "unsuccessful" mean? Are you saying that the Test Page printed correctly? Or that it printed incorrectly, but they were unable to fix the printer driver?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Silly question - have you power cycled the printer? It might be stuck in a strange mode. If you're using a parallel cable, make sure it's firmly seated at both ends. You might be dropping bits. (Maybe the cable is bad.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
myerm-p40

Post by myerm-p40 »

We've reinstalled printer drivers, done the hardware checking, etc. It prints fine from MS Word, and test pages are fine.

MLS membership info prints fine, it only prints incorrectly when we try to print checks.

This is perplexing, but I truly appreciate your help with this!

Return to “Clerk Computers”