Need to create two Head of Households from a single family

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
psnarula

Need to create two Head of Households from a single family

Post by psnarula »

We have a family that consists of a woman and her adult son. How do I split this so that they are both head of households? Under what circumstances would this not be a good thing to do?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

psnarula wrote:We have a family that consists of a woman and her adult son. How do I split this so that they are both head of households? Under what circumstances would this not be a good thing to do?

The easiest way to do this is to go to Membership > Household Record. In the list of Household Members you will see a blue Remove link to the right of each name. For the adult son, click his Remove link, and then in the dialog that follows, choose "Make a new household" and then supply the contact and address information for the new household.

The bishop should make the decision. But some things to consider would be:
  • Should the son and mother be home taught separately?
  • Is the son accountable?
  • Is it important for the son to show up separately on directories that list households?
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

Yes -- the motivation for this was to have them be assigned separate home teachers. It worked great. I wasn't aware that the "Remove" button would allow me to reassign him like that. Thanks. This forum is fantastic.

Paul
Alan_Brown wrote:The easiest way to do this is to go to Membership > Household Record. In the list of Household Members you will see a blue Remove link to the right of each name. For the adult son, click his Remove link, and then in the dialog that follows, choose "Make a new household" and then supply the contact and address information for the new household.

• Is it important for the son to show up separately on directories that list households?
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

Alan_Brown wrote:The easiest way to do this is to go to Membership > Household Record. In the list of Household Members you will see a blue Remove link to the right of each name. For the adult son, click his Remove link, and then in the dialog that follows, choose "Make a new household" and then supply the contact and address information for the new household.

Would this also be good in order to show the different phone numbers or email addresses that each member of the household has...such as cell phones or etc? Or is this idea being implemented when eventually MLS and the ward website eventually become one?

Thanks,
Jamie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Under the current version of MLS, each household has it's own phone number and email address in MLS. Currently in LUWS, each member has their own email address.

A new version of MLS that allows individual phone numbers has just started beta. I'm guessing it will hit production before the end of the year. How that integrates with LUWS has yet to be seen.

Keep in mind that breaking members out of a household increases the number of households that need to be home taught. I think it would be a bad idea to break out husband and wife or any minor children out of a household for the purpose of assigning them their own phone number.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:Would this also be good in order to show the different phone numbers or email addresses that each member of the household has...such as cell phones or etc?
This is not a good idea. This would create significantly greater problems than the minor issue of individual telephone numbers. Households tie family member records together. Breaking that link has negative consequences.
n.augusta.wardtech wrote:Or is this idea being implemented when eventually MLS and the ward website eventually become one?
MLS 3.1 has already taken the first step in addressing the individual phone number issue (see the MLS 3.1 Phone/Email changes thread).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:This is not a good idea. This would create significantly greater problems than the minor issue of individual telephone numbers. Households tie family member records together. Breaking that link has negative consequences.
It's acceptable to do that for adult children, but it's the bishop's call.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

Please forgive me for asking, but what is LUWS? I have had some experience with MLS version 2.something when I was an assistant clerk in UT. I have just been newly called as Assistant Wark Clerk of Technology. My main function as asst ward clerk is working with the ward website so some of these acronyms are new to me.

Thanks,
Jamie
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:Please forgive me for asking, but what is LUWS? I have had some experience with MLS version 2.something when I was an assistant clerk in UT. I have just been newly called as Assistant Wark Clerk of Technology. My main function as asst ward clerk is working with the ward website so some of these acronyms are new to me.
LUWS = Local Unit Web Sites. It is the Stake and Ward Web Sites available from lds.org. We refer to it so commonly around here that LUWS is a handy abbreviation, but that abbreviation is probably a bit obscure to newcomers to the forum -- even when they work with the ward website, as you do.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

They are a bit hard to find, but there are two excellent sources the forum put together a while back, one for general definitions and one specifically for acronyms.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”