Is there a ward image download available

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
nessie-p40

Is there a ward image download available

Post by nessie-p40 »

I'm the recently called Stk Tech Clerk and I have a PC from a unit that has a corrupt HD. I need to reinstall the OS and software on a new HD. The previous OS and software was a symantec image provided by the Church. The ward cannot locate any media for the PC. What is available for download besides MLS of course from the Church. Is the Symantec anti-virus availabe for download? What other software is available? What is the proper procedure for this? I'm lost? I have to get this PC up and running before Saturday an noon so as to save me a 5 hours of driving there and back, and so the ward can submit MLS data by this Sunday.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As for the OS, you've got two choices. If you can find the XP Media, you can load that using the sticker on the side of the CPU for the license. Maybe another ward has media you can borrow.

Or, if you can find some CDs labeled "Desktop 5.5", that may work depending on the model of the computer. It's probably the Symantec image you're referring to.

Uh, how bad is the hard drive? Desktop 5.5 came with a "restore" function that will reload the C drive. Catch the first menu that comes up and it should be easy to find.

The church provides some downloads from http://mls.lds.org. I think that includes the anti-virus.

As for your plans for getting the computer operating for Sunday - call now to church support for a "reset". You can't do that on the weekend and until that's done, MLS can't send/receive.

And don't think that you absolutely "have to" get the computer working by Sunday. There are procedures for dealing with that. It's nice, but not absolutely necessary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nessie-p40

Post by nessie-p40 »

No luck on the "Desktop 5.5". I tried to load up the only saved image but it was corrupt. There is the option to restore but it would wipe the drive. I've presetly just finished reinstalling the OS and am currently getting drivers and updates. I managed to pull the MLS data from the old drive, but have yet to install MLS on the machine. I thought I would get all the updates first. I'll browse to that site you gave for Symantec. What is the reset all about? Why do I need to call and reset? What is the number?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm brand new to the calling and am clueless and green as to procedures.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nessie wrote:What is the reset all about? Why do I need to call and reset? What is the number?
The MLS Send/Receive system has a security mechanism built into it to make sure that only one computer has the official MLS database for a ward. Each time MLS does a Send/Receive those security settings are adjusted. But when you install MLS on a new computer, those settings on the new computer will not match those at CHQ, so a subsequent transmission will fail.

So you call Clerk Support at 801-240-3500 or 1-800-453-3860 x23500 during normal weekday hours and they can reset the security system settings. Then your next transmission will work fine, and from then on the security settings will be synchronized with CHQ.

Return to “Clerk Computers”