maps.lds.org feedback

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
marianomarini

maps.lds.org feedback

Post by marianomarini »

In Vicenza there are two Braches. Vicenza 1 (Italian language) and Vicenza 2 (USA military).
Now in maps.lds.org is list just one (Vicenza 2).
I've use usual feedback system but it say that informations are supply by MLS.
I went to both Pc and checked they are configured Ok.
These are they configuration.
Vicenza 1:
Unit : Vicenza 1
Stake: Venice Italy Stake

Vicenza 2:
Unit: Vicenza 1 Branch (99999)
Stake: Venice Italy Stake (99999)

Note: 99999 are the correct branch/stake unit number.

Question: What is wrong with this?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

The source LDS Maps uses to receive information about Church Meetinghouses, a software in use by FM Group Managers, isn't, in my viewpoint, the best source Church have to collect these informations. For exemple: For two years, my Stake Center offices are in a rented building in downtown and the "stake center" meetinghouse (where conferences are held) are in the same traditional building: the second meetinghouse in our city.
Because of the world financial crisis last year, we returned the offices (FHC, Stake offices, S&I offices, etc.) to meetinghouses across the city, but LDS Maps and CDOL still show the old address. I made all changes in MLS, but this never populate Maps and CDOL.
If a "Church Buildings Census" are made, with informations corectly provided by local Church leaders and supervision by FM Group managers (Church employees), a better databank can be created to show correct informations at Church systems available to public and leaders. Isn't necessary to rewrite the software for FM Group managers, but create a way leaders can add and change informations about Church properties. A good system need to populate not only meetinghouses, but S&I Seminaries and Institues buildings, office buildings, FHCs, welfare buildings, mission offices, visitors' centers, historical places, MTCs, temples, Church administered lots and (Why not?) Church's companies facilities, with a correct classification and a visible "Church Property Number" to avoid errors.
It's an idea I hope will help us in the future.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

marianomarini_vi wrote:In Vicenza there are two Braches. Vicenza 1 (Italian language) and Vicenza 2 (USA military).
Now in maps.lds.org is list just one (Vicenza 2).
I did a search for meetinghouses for Vicenza Italy on maps.lds.org. The results displayed three meetinghouses in that area. For the meetinghouse at the address Via Monte Novegno, 4, Vicenza, Vicenza there were two branches listed, the Vicenza Military Branch and the Vicenza Branch. It appears that the Vicenza Military Branch is Vicenza 2 and the Vicenza Branch is Vicenza 1. I don't see any problem unless you want the branch names to be displayed as you identified them and not the way they are listed on maps.lds.org.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

jdlessley wrote:I did a search for meetinghouses for Vicenza Italy on maps.lds.org. The results displayed three meetinghouses in that area. For the meetinghouse at the address Via Monte Novegno, 4, Vicenza, Vicenza there were two branches listed, the Vicenza Military Branch and the Vicenza Branch. It appears that the Vicenza Military Branch is Vicenza 2 and the Vicenza Branch is Vicenza 1. I don't see any problem unless you want the branch names to be displayed as you identified them and not the way they are listed on maps.lds.org.
Funny indeed.
This means that my browser avoid me to see my branch?!:confused:
I'll check and hope to find out what is happen.
Well to know that others see correct informations.
Thank a lot.
marianomarini

Problem confermed

Post by marianomarini »

I tried from Branch Pc and only 1 unit is shown.
So this is not my own problem. It seem occur from Italian place.
Someone has a suggestion?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I get the same result as JdLessley reported. Are you sure that you've checked the box to "closest meetinghouses"? If you don't then only one branch is displayed.
vicenza.jpg
vicenza.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Yes I do.
This is what I get.
VicenzaUnits.jpg
VicenzaUnits.jpg (27.52 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
Now I see there's not the "assigned congragation"!!!!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini_vi wrote:Yes I do.
This is what I get.

This is interesting. When you do the lookup in English (at the very bottom right, there is a dropdown for selecting the language), everything is listed correctly when you look in Vicenza:
  • Both Vicenza branches are listed in the Closest Meetinghouses section
  • Each branch links to the correct detailed information
  • Vicenza Branch is correctly listed in the Assigned Congregations section, with the correct start time and link to details.
But when you do the lookup on Vicenza in any other language (I tested 5 languages), you get a different result (different from English, but the same for all non-English languages):
  • Only the "Ramo di Vicenza" (Vicenza Branch) is listed under Closest Meetinghouses
  • But the start time and the link to details incorrectly show the information for the Vicenza Military Branch
  • Nothing is listed under Assigned Congregations
It's also interesting to see that the congregation names are displayed in Italian for every language other than English.

So clearly there is a problem with non-English languages in this regard. It has nothing to do with the browser per se, but rather depends on the language selected on the page (which may default to something other than English based on browser and system settings). It's rather surprising that English goes through a different code path than all the other languages.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

marianomarini_vi wrote:Yes I do.
This is what I get.

I see that the box is checked. Is it possible that you haven't scrolled down far enough to see the information?? I don't see how your browser would be blocking this.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Thanks Alan. My tests get same result.
I can add that this "error" began several mounths ago.
I can't remember exactly when, but it works well before.
Other question:
Why only Vicenza not Verona?
I made place adjustment for both (at the beginning of service) and both was display correctly for a period of time.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”