Missing Names in Ward Leadership Report

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
cougarfan-p40

Missing Names in Ward Leadership Report

Post by cougarfan-p40 »

The Ward Leadership report in our Stake MLS only gives a few names sprinkled here and there among the wards. Some wards are entirely blank in one category (e.g. Bishopric), but a few names for that same ward might show up in another category (e.g. YM). It seems quite random.

If memory serves this problem cropped up this summer (perhaps when 3.0 first appeared?).

I was hoping for a fix in 3.0.3, but no luck.

Anyone else seeing this problem with 3.0.3?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the first thing is to check the affected wards and see if they are using the standardized callings or custom callings. Only the standardized callings will properly transfer to the stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The next thing to check after that is if your wards are actually entering the info. I was having the same problem, so yesterday I checked 7 of my ward's computers. Most of the problems were due to not using standardized callings, but there were several where the info just simply was not entered either.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

If you come back and find out that all of the information at the ward level is correct, try requesting a Unit Refresh at the stake level for the entire stake (checking all of the boxes) this will bring in the information that has been recorded in the Church Directory.
Caleb
cougarfan-p40

Post by cougarfan-p40 »

I don't think any bishops names are showing up and maybe one or two counselors on a couple of wards.

I will check with the wards to see if they are using the standardized calling names, but I can't imagine that none of the wards are using the standard calling for bishop.

Are there any pitfalls with requesting a refresh of a unit's data?

I seem to recall some sort of message that discouraged doing this unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for your help!
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

One thing - after the wards update the callings, they will have to send membership data to the stake in order for you to see the updates this month. Otherwise, you can just wait until next month.

Do you happen to be a student stake? If so, another problem is that they may have to create temporary records for their bishopric members first. I'm not sure if membership number has to be there or not to give them the calling (I'm guessing not, but is preferable because then you can link their MLS account to a member record and preserve your 2 out of unit administrator accounts for the stake), but you do have to enter ordination info so they are at least Elders.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:I'm not sure if membership number has to be there or not to give them the calling (I'm guessing not...)
The membership record number must be included (starting with MLS 3.0, I believe) to create an out-of-unit member record, no matter what.
cougarfan-p40

Post by cougarfan-p40 »

We are a regular stake (not a student stake).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cougarfan wrote:Are there any pitfalls with requesting a refresh of a unit's data?

I seem to recall some sort of message that discouraged doing this unless absolutely necessary.
The only minor issue I know of is related to part-member families that have not been structured properly with the nonmember husband as Head of Household and the wife as Spouse. In those cases, the household may be split up. But if the household is created properly (see Ask and ye shall receive... Tip for 10/11/09) even that won't be a problem.

Other than that, it should be a good thing. It will create a longer than usual send/receive session, but that's just one time.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

cougarfan wrote:Are there any pitfalls with requesting a refresh of a unit's data?
If you request the refresh at the stake level, then you don't risk breaking any households' information. A refresh is pushed to each stake at least once a quarter to make sure that the correct information is at the unit level. All of the calling information for the stake AND ward leadership is included in that refresh. There is no need to request it at each unit.
Caleb

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”