Primary rolls messed up

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
rexgj

Primary rolls messed up

Post by rexgj »

This is a new problem I haven't seen before. Our ward clerk is ill, and I'm filling in, still, I've done this before and not run into this problem. The primary requested new class rolls be printed, but when printed, the class members all all messed up. Only two girls are listed for the 11 yr old Boys class, the same two girls are listed for the 11 yr old girls class. And on through all of the rolls, age groups are mixed up, girls appear on the boys rolls, and vice versa. What's going on here? I don't find any way to edit these rolls. How do we get them sorted correctly?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rexgj wrote:This is a new problem I haven't seen before. Our ward clerk is ill, and I'm filling in, still, I've done this before and not run into this problem. The primary requested new class rolls be printed, but when printed, the class members all all messed up. Only two girls are listed for the 11 yr old Boys class, the same two girls are listed for the 11 yr old girls class. And on through all of the rolls, age groups are mixed up, girls appear on the boys rolls, and vice versa. What's going on here? I don't find any way to edit these rolls. How do we get them sorted correctly?
The rolls will simply print all the current members of the class, so you need to fix the list of class members. The class member lists can be changed in MLS by going to Organizations > Primary, then select the Class Members option. Then you can scroll down to the appropriate class, where you can add or remove members.

Of course, the obvious question is how the class member lists got messed up. There are built-in Primary classes with rules that cause people to be added or moved from the classes based on age. It's possible to create additional classes with rules based on age and sex (which it sounds like your ward has done, since you referred to girls and boys classes). It doesn't sound like the class rules are set up correctly.

To see what the class rules are, go to Organizations > Primary and then in the Classes section, click on the class name. This will show you the age and sex rules. If they are not correct, follow the instructions in the wiki under Changing Class Rules.

You could also take the drastic course of using the Reset Classes option. That will remove all the custom classes and restore the original built-in classes, putting all the right children in each class based on age. That would clean everything up, but then you would have to recreate any class splits and move the appropriate children into the new split classes.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”