MLS Nursery Roll

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
slh531977-p40

MLS Nursery Roll

Post by slh531977-p40 »

So kids above 18 months are supposed to be in Nursery. However In MLS you can't set a class rule up for 18 months, you have to either put 1 year or 2 year. In other words, kids get left off the rolls. In my example we have a JR nursery and a senior nursery. The JR nursery roll is set up as year being atleast 1 at beginning and 2 at ending. So all the kids born in 2008 do not show up on the roll. When in reality, those kids born before April 29, 2008 would currently be in nursery.

Anyone have any workarounds to this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slh531977 wrote:So kids above 18 months are supposed to be in Nursery. However In MLS you can't set a class rule up for 18 months, you have to either put 1 year or 2 year. In other words, kids get left off the rolls. In my example we have a JR nursery and a senior nursery. The JR nursery roll is set up as year being atleast 1 at beginning and 2 at ending. So all the kids born in 2008 do not show up on the roll. When in reality, those kids born before April 29, 2008 would currently be in nursery.

Anyone have any workarounds to this?
There is a built-in class called Sunbeam Nursery. It works just fine, adding children automatically when they reach age 18 months. As long as you use the built-in class, I don't see why you would have any problem.

But it sounds like you want to create a custom class with different rules so that you can split that class along age boundaries. There you do run into the limitation where you can't set up your own class rules for anything other than an integral age.

About all I can think of to do is to let kids enter the built-in class automatically, then move them manually to the Sr. Nursery class whenever you want.
slh531977-p40

Post by slh531977-p40 »

Thank you. that must be the problem. Where do I find the built in Nursery Class?

(sorry i just got called and don't have much experience yet)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slh531977 wrote:Where do I find the built in Nursery Class?
In MLS:
  • Go to Organizations > Primary
  • On the left, click on Class Members
  • Either scroll down to Sunbeam Nursery or use the Show selector in the upper right corner to display only the Sunbeam Nursery class.
From there, you can add or remove members.
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

-The navigation should be in the Organizations box, click on more.
-In the Report/Tools menu box, click on Print Rolls and Lists.
-In the Select Classes/Groups to Print frame on the left, scroll down to the bottom and select Sunbeam Nursery.

That should work.
slh531977-p40

Post by slh531977-p40 »

however, i don't think that class is currently there, because of the 2 custom nursery classes that have been made. I think I have to reset classes in order to have that class "sunbeam Nursery" be there.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slh531977 wrote:however, i don't think that class is currently there, because of the 2 custom nursery classes that have been made. I think I have to reset classes in order to have that class "sunbeam Nursery" be there.
Yes, it's possible that someone deleted the built-in class when they added the custom classes for the same age group.

Be aware that resetting the classes will reset all the Primary classes. It will remove all custom classes (including any split classes) and reset all the members to be precisely those members determined by the class rules (any manual moves of class members will be undone). So it shouldn't be done lightly, but then again, it is the only way to get a default class back once it has been deleted.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”