List of bishops in the stake

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jwkammeyer-p40

Post by jwkammeyer-p40 »

Sorry if this has been previously answered, but as Stake Clerk how do I get a list out of MLS of all the previously ordained Bishops in the Stake? Of course, the list of currently serving bishops is easy, its the list of those not currently serving who were ordained years ago that is hard to get. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

James Kammeyer
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jwkammeyer wrote:. . . how do I get a list out of MLS of all the previously ordained Bishops in the Stake? . . . its the list of those not currently serving who were ordained years ago that is hard to get.

I think it is hard to get mainly because this information is not available in MLS at the ward or stake level. Sorry.
jwkammeyer-p40

Post by jwkammeyer-p40 »

Is there another place where I can get this information? Can I contact someone in Salt Lake? My Stake President has asked for the list and I'd like to provide it if possible.

James
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jwkammeyer wrote:Is there another place where I can get this information? Can I contact someone in Salt Lake? My Stake President has asked for the list and I'd like to provide it if possible.
If it were me, I think I would let the stake president know that this information is no longer available on the membership record at the stake or ward level. Depending on how badly he would really like to have this information, I see several alternatives.

He could call CHQ. They might give him the information, but I would be surprised if they did. CHQ might refer him to his area authority seventy to make the request.

Ask the bishops what they know. Most of them will have an idea which of their high priests have been bishops.

Interview all of the active high priests in the stake.

In our stake, the stake presidency interviews every new high priest (and wife) when they arrive. They know who has served as bishop before.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I know back in the paper record days, I could see the ordination date for "Bishop". But I don't think that ever made it to the electronic copy of the records that a ward/stake gets.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I know back in the paper record days, I could see the ordination date for "Bishop". But I don't think that ever made it to the electronic copy of the records that a ward/stake gets.
The information was available in MIS at first, then disappeared.

Personally, there was a time in my leadership life when I would have wanted this information. Yet now, I do not see a need, unless a new stake president is just trying to get to know some of his priesthood leaders quickly.
chasejtlds

Former bishops

Post by chasejtlds »

Former bishops were not recorded in MIS or MLS. When they moved or changed positions they disappeared from the list. If you can access old stake or ward directories either from an archived file or from older members (pack-rats) that might be a good source; otherwise the new Church History Library (north-east of the SL temple) have microfiched ward records going back to the early restoration period. They probably don't have personnel to do the research, but they can be accessed on the premises with proper identification including a driver's license and a temple recommend. They aren't 'open files' and must be requested (they can help you with that) to be brought to the reading room to view there only. Only reference papers, a pencil and a pad of paper are allowed in the special reading rooms to copy on a pad the information found. For justifiable cause copies of certain screen views can be requested to be copied later (if approved) and then mailed to you (in a couple of weeks) at a nominal cost of about 25 cents each plus a mailing fee of around $5.00. If you know someone in the area they may be willing to research for you; otherwise plan your next vacation there.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

chasejtlds wrote:Former bishops were not recorded in MIS or MLS. When they moved or changed positions they disappeared from the list. If you can access old stake or ward directories either from an archived file or from older members (pack-rats) that might be a good source; otherwise the new Church History Library (north-east of the SL temple) have microfiched ward records going back to the early restoration period. They probably don't have personnel to do the research, but they can be accessed on the premises with proper identification including a driver's license and a temple recommend. They aren't 'open files' and must be requested (they can help you with that) to be brought to the reading room to view there only. Only reference papers, a pencil and a pad of paper are allowed in the special reading rooms to copy on a pad the information found. For justifiable cause copies of certain screen views can be requested to be copied later (if approved) and then mailed to you (in a couple of weeks) at a nominal cost of about 25 cents each plus a mailing fee of around $5.00. If you know someone in the area they may be willing to research for you; otherwise plan your next vacation there.
On the CDOL at the bottom of the stake page is a section called historical information with assignments containing previous stake presidents, 1st & 2nd counselors, stake clerks, patriarchs and on the ward pages bishops.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kd7mha wrote:On the CDOL at the bottom of the stake page is a section called historical information with assignments containing previous stake presidents, 1st & 2nd counselors, stake clerks, patriarchs and on the ward pages bishops.
That would be a good starting place, the problem is it won't show you people who have been a bishop in a different stake and then moved into your stake. It will also show people who may have moved out. CDOL certainly is the right place to look as the authority on former bishops, but it doesn't have the ability to search based on current ward members.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

ryan jones wrote:That would be a good starting place, the problem is it won't show you people who have been a bishop in a different stake and then moved into your stake. It will also show people who may have moved out. CDOL certainly is the right place to look as the authority on former bishops, but it doesn't have the ability to search based on current ward members.
Is there any reason previous callings are not logged and stored somewhere like MLS or CDOL, accessible to local leadership?

The reason I ask is that I had a Stake officer (I believe high council) come asking for current and previous calling information for the last 2 years for individuals being considered for stake positions. He had paperwork requesting this information. Is this paperwork specific to our stake, or a general form used by all stakes? Either way, I really couldn't answer his questions beyond current callings.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”