Birthdate for LDS Account?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
zaneclark

Birthdate for LDS Account?

Post by zaneclark »

I must have been sleeping but I just discovered they are now using the date of birth instead of the confirmation date to register for an LDS Account. When did this happen? Whenever it did, I like it! As a ward web administrator this will speed things up because members know their birth date, while very few remember their confirmation date.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

zaneclark wrote:I must have been sleeping but I just discovered they are now using the date of birth instead of the confirmation date to register for an LDS Account. When did this happen? Whenever it did, I like it! As a ward web administrator this will speed things up because members know their birth date, while very few remember their confirmation date.
I saw another thread discuss this change very briefly, but this change couldn't have been more than 2-3 months ago. It was fairly recent, and likely the change was made for the exact reasoning you mention.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

mkmurray wrote:...this change couldn't have been more than 2-3 months ago.
Here's the earliest thread I could find about it (June 2009).

This is true for creating an LDS account, but anywhere you need to grand access to members still uses confirmation date. For example, adding non-resident members to your stake website and initiating a new missionary recommend both still require membership number and confirmation date.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I haven't seen this as I already had an LDS Account, but is the only authentication to create an account a full name and birthdate? If so, that seems fairly insecure as many friends of people would know their name and birthdate, but likely not their membership record number.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

kgthunder wrote:I haven't seen this as I already had an LDS Account, but is the only authentication to create an account a full name and birthdate? If so, that seems fairly insecure as many friends of people would know their name and birthdate, but likely not their membership record number.
Look again. You need membership number and birthdate.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

crislapi wrote:Look again. You need membership number and birthdate.
Oh, good catch. I didn't notice he had said "full name." It is true that LDSAccount has never required full name as a credential for registering. In fact, it's instead used as a verification step to make sure you and LDS databases are talking about the same person. :)
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

I understand that in situations such as resetting a forgotten LDS Account password, MRN and confirmation date are still required. But MRN and birthdate are sufficient to register in the first place.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Thanks for the catch. I trust y'all, I haven't had need to go back since I have an active LDS Account. :) Glad to hear MRN is still needed.
zaneclark

LDS Account for NFS

Post by zaneclark »

I am still a little confused about when you can use birthdate vs confirmation date. I opened NFS, clicked on the "register" link, and it asked for the member number and confirmation date.... Does this mean that a member who obtains an LDS Account for the LUWS using his birthdate would still need his confirmation number for NFS? Or can he use his LDS Account username and password for NFS?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

zaneclark wrote:I am still a little confused about when you can use birthdate vs confirmation date. I opened NFS, clicked on the "register" link, and it asked for the member number and confirmation date.... Does this mean that a member who obtains an LDS Account for the LUWS using his birthdate would still need his confirmation number for NFS? Or can he use his LDS Account username and password for NFS?
NFS does not use the LDSAccount authentication system yet. It is a separate system of login credentials at the moment.

Return to “General Discussions”