2010 Lesson Schedules

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
pbarrus

2010 Lesson Schedules

Post by pbarrus »

Does anyone know when the 2010 lesson schedule for RS and Priesthood be added to the lesson schedule (admin side)? We are working on the 2010 Stake schedule and my Stake President needs to choose which lesson is to be taught when. We can't even find an electronic copy of "Gospel Principles" to look at. Any information will be appreciated.

TIA,

Phyl
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Phyl wrote:Does anyone know when the 2010 lesson schedule for RS and Priesthood be added to the lesson schedule (admin side)? We are working on the 2010 Stake schedule and my Stake President needs to choose which lesson is to be taught when. We can't even find an electronic copy of "Gospel Principles" to look at. Any information will be appreciated.
The Gospel Principles manual can be found on the Sunday School's Gospel Doctrine page on lds.org. That should help you plan your lessons while you're waiting for the web site to list them.

As for the 2010 lesson schedule becoming available on the stake administration pages for local unit websites, I asked precisely that question a couple of weeks ago. On 13 October 2009, I received this answer:
We don't have a date yet, but it should be soon.
pbarrus

Post by pbarrus »

Alan, thank you for responding, but the link is to the 1997 version. I need the new updated version....just to make sure that the lessons are the same title, #, if there are new ones, deleted ones, etc.

Guess soon hasn't arrived yet. ;-)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Phyl wrote:Alan, thank you for responding, but the link is to the 1997 version. I need the new updated version....just to make sure that the lessons are the same title, #, if there are new ones, deleted ones, etc.
I know that's the 1997 version, but I don't think the 2009 version is available online yet. That's probably the reason for the delay in updating the local unit web sites, since they link to the lesson material.

I doubt that the chapters have changed; there are still 47 chapters. But if you're really anxious, you can order the Gospel Principles manual at ldscatalog.com.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Phyl wrote:Does anyone know when the 2010 lesson schedule for RS and Priesthood be added to the lesson schedule (admin side)? We are working on the 2010 Stake schedule and my Stake President needs to choose which lesson is to be taught when. We can't even find an electronic copy of "Gospel Principles" to look at. Any information will be appreciated.
From the "Quorum and Group Instruction" link in the Melchizedek Priesthood section of the Serving in the Church web page:
The lessons should be taught in the order presented in the book. This will help members who move to or attend another unit during the year.
As you probably know, the basic format is:
1st Sunday - Topic selected and taught by presidency
2nd-3rd Sundays - Lessons taught from manual
4th Sunday - Teachings for our times. Topics come from selected talks from the most recent General Conference
5th Sunday - Determined locally (Bishopric or Stake Presidency select)

A general outline along the same lines can be found here.
pbarrus

2nd-3rd Sundays - Lessons taught from manual

Post by pbarrus »

I realize that this is the general rule of thumb. That said, there are Stake conferences that affect schedules and the Stake Presidency decides which lessons to skip or to use on another Sunday.

Phyl
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Phyl wrote:I realize that this is the general rule of thumb. That said, there are Stake conferences that affect schedules and the Stake Presidency decides which lessons to skip or to use on another Sunday.
If that's the only reason you would miss a Sunday, then there is no need to adjust the lessons. These lost classes are built into the lesson schedule. There are 52 weeks in a year but 47 lessons. Two are lost for general conference, 2 more for stake conference, and one for ward conference. You'd only need to skip a lesson if you somehow miss more Sundays than that.

I'll admit, though, some of our wards still somehow get off.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:If that's the only reason you would miss a Sunday, then there is no need to adjust the lessons. These lost classes are built into the lesson schedule. There are 52 weeks in a year but 47 lessons. Two are lost for general conference, 2 more for stake conference, and one for ward conference. You'd only need to skip a lesson if you somehow miss more Sundays than that.
You need to adjust your math a bit. Remember that these are Priesthood and Relief Society lessons, so there are only 2 per month from Gospel Principles. And there are 47 lessons for 2 years, so that makes 24 in one year and 23 in another.

The stake does have to decide how those all work out, because there are 12 1st Sundays for the presidency, 12 4th Sundays for TFOT, 24 2nd and 3rd Sundays for Gospel Principles, 4 5th Sundays for the Bishop's Instruction, 2 Stake Conferences, 2 General Conferences, and 1 Ward Conference (which may or may not pre-empt a lesson). That could add up to 57 possibilities to put on 52 weeks. Clearly something has to be adjusted.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Good point. As always, listen to Alan_Brown :)
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:The Gospel Principles manual can be found on the Sunday School's Gospel Doctrine page on lds.org. That should help you plan your lessons while you're waiting for the web site to list them.

As for the 2010 lesson schedule becoming available on the stake administration pages for local unit websites, I asked precisely that question a couple of weeks ago. On 13 October 2009, I received this answer:
Is the Gospel Principles manual going to be the course of study for RS/PH in 2010? Or did I miss something in this exchange of messages?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”