Did MP4 encoding change for Oct GC?

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
BradBartz-p40

Did MP4 encoding change for Oct GC?

Post by BradBartz-p40 »

From my Windows Mobile 6.1 AT&T Fuze I download conference talks via the RSS podcast at http://feeds.lds.org/ldsgccomplete_eng_mp4

I'm able to view the video and audio from April's GC on my phone no problem. But for some reason I only get the audio when viewing the .mp4 files from the October GC.

The .mp4 files from both April and October play fine on my PC. It's almost as if a different encoding was used in October which isn't compatable with Windows mobile 6.1.

Anyone else run into this or know what might be going on?

Thanks, Brad.
jmessinger

Post by jmessinger »

Yah, I wondered as well if there has been a change. I downloaded the video podcast from the same source, and when I tried to sync it to my iPod Touch, I get a message that the video format isn't supported by my iPod (using software version 3.1.2). At the moment I have iTunes converting the podcast files to iPhone/iPod format, so we'll see if that works. Like BradBartz, the videos play just fine on my PC, but not on my hand held device.
faazshift

Post by faazshift »

In my player of choice (mplayer on linux) I can view full sessions 2-5 without a problem, but the saturday morning session seems to be broken. I can watch up until 2934 seconds (or 49 minutes), but then it crashes the movie player. I dont know if the problem is related to yours. Is your problem with all the sessions?
jmessinger

Post by jmessinger »

I haven't come across any problems with any of the sessions that you mentioned - so far they all work fine in either VLC or the Quicktime player on my PC. It seems to be only the encoding used for the podcast videos - iTunes displays a message that the video format isn't supported for iPod when I attempt to sync.

As far as the conversion process to iPhone/iPod format, it's awfully slow, and doesn't seem to make any difference anyway. Those videos that apparently have been converted still won't sync to my iPod, with the same format compatibility error. :(

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this issue with an iPod, or other handheld device.
jvoracek

Post by jvoracek »

It is possible that those talks are not supported for streaming. As far as the iPhone functions, it can support any MP4 format over a network connection (including compressed MP4s) as long as the server is configured correctly. It's possible that the RSS files have been modified, therefore making MP4 files incompatible with streaming.
Jace Voracek
Jace@Jace-Place.com
daddington-p40

What I found

Post by daddington-p40 »

I have a similar issue - a successful play of April conference talks on my Macbook, iPhone, Apple TV as video podcast. No luck with October on iPhone, Apple TV. I compared the encoding formats from the April Conference to the October conference by looking at the additional data provided in the More Info section of Finder. April Conference content was encoded w/ following codecs: AAC, H.264, MPEG-4 SDSM, and MPEG-4 ODSM. The October content is lacking the SDSM/ODSM. Audio/Video is not my particular field of expertise but I have a hunch this has something to do with it. Thoughts?
LeonardMC
Community Moderators

New downloadable files coming soon

Post by LeonardMC »

BradBartz wrote:
I'm able to view the video and audio from April's GC on my phone no problem. But for some reason I only get the audio when viewing the .mp4 files from the October GC.
Brad - Thank you for letting us know about downloadable .mp4 files. We are working on correcting the encode and hope to have them back up soon. It appears that the encode did have an issue with some of the mobile platforms.

I will post to this forum when they are ready.
encebollado

Thanks - I have the same problem

Post by encebollado »

Thanks for fixing the videos. My brother and I both can't play the October conference videos on our iPod touches. It'll be great to have them!
bschroader-p40

Thank Goodness This I Being Discussed...

Post by bschroader-p40 »

... I thought I was going nuts here! I've tried everything from cleaning out old conference podcasts to using the convert function on iTunes to convert to iPhone.

I soooo want to start watching these on my trips. Especially Elder Holland!
LDS Web Media-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Downloadable MP4 files

Post by LDS Web Media-p40 »

We have corrected the MP4 encoding error.
These files will now load to your iDevices.
Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Digital Media”