MLS Crashing

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
paulstreet

MLS Crashing

Post by paulstreet »

I've had it with MLS now..... for the past 6-8 weeks we've been struggling doing anything on our lovely Compaq Evo PC. I've called our Administration office in the UK 4 times with no luck.....

Whatever we do all we get is "Your Virtual memory is low".... then MLS Crashes and we have to re-boot. It's now got to the point where we can't even do a Send/Receive on a Sunday to send in our Tithing....

What can I do without a hammer through the PC?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How full is the disk drive? "Virtual Memory" includes the hard drive. Have you checked for viruses? I don't know how the situation in the UK differs from the US, so I hesitate to give advice beyond the generic.
aaronleishman-p40

The cheapest Upgrade

Post by aaronleishman-p40 »

The cheapest upgrade you can to is add more RAM Memory. I would recommed a total of 256MB or 512MB of RAM memory. That should be enough to run MLS and Windows XP.

If that doesn't cure the issue respond back.

Aaron
Life is only worth living if you are being loved by a kid. --Buzz Lightyear
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the states, 256MB is considered the minimum amount of memory for a MLS system. Less then that and the church will do something to get you upgraded. Windows runs a lot nicer with more memory, but from what I've read MLS doesn't improve all that much once it's been started.
paulstreet

Post by paulstreet »

RussellHltn wrote:In the states, 256MB is considered the minimum amount of memory for a MLS system. Less then that and the church will do something to get you upgraded. Windows runs a lot nicer with more memory, but from what I've read MLS doesn't improve all that much once it's been started.
Now that's a good joke, our computer must have been new with Noah, it's got a total of 128Mb RAM, and as for the Church doing something, I've been complaining for weeks to our Stake Clerk, UK Area Office and anyone that will listen, but nothing is being done..... I've also been warned that purchasing memory ourselves is severely frowned upon yet I'm close to desperation as we can't send in last Sunday's tithing donations.

How do I find out the right memory for this machine? so we can go to PC World and pick up some.....

Thanks
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

You will want the memory to be the same speed and type. As for the exact specs that might be hard to find. Though it most likely has DDR or DDR2 (Seeing how small the initial memory was I am assuming DDR)
Next the speed is usually listed 3200 or some other 4 digit number which is really 533 MHz (3200 DDR RAM).
The easiest way is to open the box and read the label off the RAM card, but I also know that this procedure is also frowned upon, but if you are going to be installing your own then you'd be opening it anyway.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:You will want the memory to be the same speed and type. As for the exact specs that might be hard to find. Though it most likely has DDR or DDR2 (Seeing how small the initial memory was I am assuming DDR)
Next the speed is usually listed 3200 or some other 4 digit number which is really 533 MHz (3200 DDR RAM).
The easiest way is to open the box and read the label off the RAM card, but I also know that this procedure is also frowned upon, but if you are going to be installing your own then you'd be opening it anyway.
Aren't there utilites that can tell you exactly what processor you have? Or maybe bus speed? Or better yet, perhaps you can just see that in the BIOS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For memory upgrades, I prefer to go to a memory manufacturer's website and look up the memory model by computer model number. There can be a number of oddities so I'm not sure as I'd trust generic specs to get me something that would work without crashing.

However, if you upgrade the machine, then you're likely to be stuck with it. I'm not sure why you're having a problem with the area office. I'd ask them what the minimum specs are and see if this machine meets them. If not, then work from there. In the US, they would probably ship a new machine, particularly if the CPU speed is low or the drive is small making a memory upgrade pointless. (Evo is a line that's been around for ages. Hard to tell just how new/old that machine is.)

If you're not able to send tithing, well, too bad. It's not a problem for you or your ward is it? ;) If it gets someone's attention, that can only help your cause. Report it and don't worry about it. Is there any of the PTBs here that can point this guy to the right place to call in the UK?

(PTB = powers that be)
thomasjking

Post by thomasjking »

for info about the computer try the free util called Belarc advisor
tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

mkmurray wrote:Aren't there utilites that can tell you exactly what processor you have? Or maybe bus speed? Or better yet, perhaps you can just see that in the BIOS?

Processor yes, bus speed yes, but both of those do not determine what the memory type is. Though in the BOIS they might say, though I wouldn't count on it. Also memory speed and bus speed or two different thing (though memory speed will never be greater then your bus speed) for example my computer has a max 1 GHz bus speed but the fastest memory that it will support is only 800 MHz.
- David

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”