Is lds.org front page supposed to look disjointed?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Is lds.org front page supposed to look disjointed?

Post by rmrichesjr »

Is the http://www.lds.org front page supposed to look disjointed? For the past week or two, the division between the blue-gray upper area and the tannish lower area is broken up, and there are dark gray divots in the upper corners of the center part of the lower section. See the attached screenshot. This was taken using Firefox 3.0.14 on Mandriva Linux 2009.0. I do have minimum font sizes scaled up slightly, which seems to cause a few problems with web sites that are coded without geometrical robustness.
Attachments
ldsdotorg-front-page.jpg
ldsdotorg-front-page.jpg (15.57 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

rmrichesjr wrote:Is the http://www.lds.org front page supposed to look disjointed? For the past week or two, the division between the blue-gray upper area and the tannish lower area is broken up, and there are dark gray divots in the upper corners of the center part of the lower section. See the attached screenshot. This was taken using Firefox 3.0.14 on Mandriva Linux 2009.0. I do have minimum font sizes scaled up slightly, which seems to cause a few problems with web sites that are coded without geometrical robustness.
I'm not seeing any problem with the front page of LDS.org here. I've tried both IE8 and FF3.5.3
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
faazshift

Post by faazshift »

The 'f' icon in the top corner looks to be a blocked flash object, for some reason positioned strangely. The other problem may a font problem or something. Im using Gentoo Linux and FF 3.5.3. I have also tried in with FF 3.5.3 and Chrome on windows, and it still seems to be the same. The christus image seems to be pushing the rest of the page down. For me, its not pushed quite as far down as for you, but still a good 15 pixels or so. In IE, though, it isn't broken like that. Maybe someone recently changed something, only testing in IE.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

faazshift wrote:The 'f' icon in the top corner looks to be a blocked flash object, for some reason positioned strangely. The other problem may a font problem or something. Im using Gentoo Linux and FF 3.5.3. I have also tried in with FF 3.5.3 and Chrome on windows, and it still seems to be the same. The christus image seems to be pushing the rest of the page down. For me, its not pushed quite as far down as for you, but still a good 15 pixels or so. In IE, though, it isn't broken like that. Maybe someone recently changed something, only testing in IE.
It works fine for me in FF 3.5.3 on Windows. I can zoom just the text, or the whole page, bigger or smaller, and it looks just fine.
faazshift

Post by faazshift »

Alan_Brown wrote:It works fine for me in FF 3.5.3 on Windows. I can zoom just the text, or the whole page, bigger or smaller, and it looks just fine.
Well now its working, but at the time of my post it was doing what I described.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Fixed, here, too.

Post by rmrichesjr »

Hmmm... It appears fixed for me, too. I guess maybe the right somebody saw this thread.
jvoracek

Post by jvoracek »

It appears by your thumbnail that the central welcoming image at the top was merely overlapping the page setup. This can be common from time to time depending on your web browser, however it can usually be corrected easily. I'm glad to hear that this has been resolved.
Jace Voracek
Jace@Jace-Place.com
DaltonTM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Actual Resolution

Post by DaltonTM »

A big thanks to rmrichesjr for bringing this up. Interestingly it was still a problem until about 10 minutes ago. It only happens however the first time you hit the page after your local cache has been cleared. It was related to the sharing feature added to the videos we have on the home page. If you are interested, you can read about that flash object that was pushing the alignment off here: http://www.addthis.com/blog/2009/01/05/ ... -feedback/

Since it was breaking the layout we have disabled the flash tracking "feature" for now.

Thanks!

Return to “Main Church Website”