HDD Merging Partitions

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
WE8U-p40

HDD Merging Partitions

Post by WE8U-p40 »

My FHC has three computers that have large HDD's that have been partitioned into two. All three computers are running XP. The issue is, how can I merge the Partitions easily without wiping the C drive. The F drive is empty now and the FHC wants the F (2nd partition now empty) to be merged back into the C(windows).

Does the Church recommend any partitioning programs or tools?
If so, do they have it available?
If not, what solution can I use to resolve the FHC's problem?

I know that Partition Magic and other commercial programs would work to do this, however I personally do not have these programs and I know the church buying them is probably not a possibility.

We would rather not reformat the computers.

Thank You in advance.
Adam J Tipton
Ontario OR Stake
Tech Spec
:cool:
WE8U
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I highly recommend using a GPARTED live CD. It uses GNU/Linux, but is very straightforward to use for non-Linux people. It can expand, contract, and combine partitions that are either FAT or NTFS.

Of course, with any partitioning software, MUCH care and full backups are recommended.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WE8U wrote:the FHC wants the F (2nd partition now empty) to be merged back into the C(windows).
I'd look deeper into why they want to do that. If they're wanted to save CD data on the hard drive (for example, PRF), then I think it would be better to keep it separate.

If they're wanting to store large amounts of patron data, I'd nix that.

OTOH, I can understand needing to move the dividing point as the C partition may have been set too small.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WE8U-p40

Post by WE8U-p40 »

Thanks both of you.

First, the C drive was so full that the system performance dropped. They no longer use the program that requires the CD info to be copied onto the 2nd partition. So it has been removed.

The reasoning behind merging, is simply because she would prefer them merged. Otherwise I would just point the various programs to save data on the 2nd partition if it is not comfortably possible without wiping the system. So no real technical reason other then she would prefer them that way.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!;) I will definitely check out the Live CD.
Adam J Tipton
Ontario OR Stake
Tech Spec
:cool:
WE8U
michaelbuhrley

Post by michaelbuhrley »

I'll second the vote for GPARTED - it is a great tool, and I used it for doing the same thing in our FHC a while back.

I have never had a problem with it... but you still want to make sure you have backed up before using it.

Michael

Return to “Clerk Computers”