Mormon Channel Web Services - feature requests?

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
Ryan Gardner-p40

Mormon Channel Web Services - feature requests?

Post by Ryan Gardner-p40 »

The mormon channel itself has quite a bit of content that's not included in the mormon channel web services.

There are 9 programs listed that have podcasts, 1 more that does not (The Light of Men - but it looks like it is new so maybe when it gets added it will have content)

I don't have an iphone so I'm not able to run the iphone app. I don't know what's under the "more" button, but based on the screenshots I've seen it looks like the iPhone app just has the radio channel, general conference addresses, magazines, scriptures, (and the more button).

I'm in the very early stages (design stage, basically) of building an Android version, and would like to include the podcasts in it too.

It would seem that the podcasts would logically belong to the mormon channel web services (only don't call them podcasts in the app, because then Apple would call it duplicate functionality or something, right? since they have a podcast player or something like that?)

any chance of getting something to query to get a list of programs (along with their image URLs), then to get a list of episodes of that program with the URL's?
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

I have the iPhone Mormon Channel App on my iPhone. There is no content in the "More" tab only settings and info about the app.

Have you checked out the LDS Tech Wiki page about the Mormon Channel application. The plan is to produce an android version of the App.

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Mormon_Channel
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

Since the Web Services has huge potential for making a lot more stuff available (text, pdf, audio) as well as having more content it would be very useful to see more visibility of what the plan is for the Web Services.

I was hoping the Tech Talk would have given more detailed info of what exactly the plans are in this area.
[font=&quot]
[/font]
njpomeroy

Another request

Post by njpomeroy »

Provide alternate live-streaming technology, like SHOUTcast (mp3s streaming).

I'm having a hard time getting my software and "internet radio-enabled" hardware to play get the mms streamed wma files.

I know the data distributor *requires* wma over mms. This seems to me like one ought to investigate other distributors.
Ryan Gardner-p40

Post by Ryan Gardner-p40 »

GarysTurn wrote: Have you checked out the LDS Tech Wiki page about the Mormon Channel application. The plan is to produce an android version of the App.
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Mormon_Channel
Yeah. They have a link to a dead page on there. I was presuming that when they said that an android version would be made that they meant that the community would make one - which I'm starting on.
njpomeroy wrote:I know the data distributor *requires* wma over mms. This seems to me like one ought to investigate other distributors."
Yeah, they really should boot that distributor. WMA over MMS is obsolete. I think they use the same content delivery network for other stuff - our recent stake conference was streamed from the stake center to our building - and it was clearly using MMS as the transport - since we all got to see the URL every few minutes when the connection died and the poor guy up front would kill it, then open the feed again.

The MMS / WMA feed they pump out isn't even up to snuff (so it's not just using obsolete tech, it's also using a broken implementation of obsolete tech) - as you have experienced. It wont play on many players at all.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Ryan Gardner wrote:Yeah, they really should boot that distributor. WMA over MMS is obsolete. I think they use the same content delivery network for other stuff - our recent stake conference was streamed from the stake center to our building - and it was clearly using MMS as the transport - since we all got to see the URL every few minutes when the connection died and the poor guy up front would kill it, then open the feed again.

The MMS / WMA feed they pump out isn't even up to snuff (so it's not just using obsolete tech, it's also using a broken implementation of obsolete tech) - as you have experienced. It wont play on many players at all.
I was told just recently by Church Employees that they are working to switch it off the MMS / WMA stream. I have no ETA.

Return to “Digital Media”