Satellite program listing

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
michaelbuhrley

Satellite program listing

Post by michaelbuhrley »

Is there any published list of what is playing on the church satellite transponder? (like a TVGuide) We have a DVR/DVD recorder combo that we use to record conference and other broadcasts as needed. It has a nice program listing feature and can take xmltv formatted listings... Just wondering if a source for this information exists, and if it doesn't exist is there something I can do to help?

Thanks,

Michael
Mission Viejo CA, STS
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

michaelbuhrley wrote:Is there any published list of what is playing on the church satellite transponder? (like a TVGuide) We have a DVR/DVD recorder combo that we use to record conference and other broadcasts as needed. It has a nice program listing feature and can take xmltv formatted listings... Just wondering if a source for this information exists, and if it doesn't exist is there something I can do to help?

Thanks,

Michael
Mission Viejo CA, STS
Michael,

The only listing I'm aware of it what's published by BYU Broadcasting. Church satellite broadcasts are scheduled in advance and published on lds.org as well as in printed format which you should be receiving through your stake clerk.

Your satellite/cable operator should also be carrying a schedule of the BYU Broadcasts, however, if I'm reading you correctly you're looking for something in a different format.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
michaelbuhrley

Post by michaelbuhrley »

Techgy wrote:Michael,

The only listing I'm aware of it what's published by BYU Broadcasting. Church satellite broadcasts are scheduled in advance and published on lds.org as well as in printed format which you should be receiving through your stake clerk.

Your satellite/cable operator should also be carrying a schedule of the BYU Broadcasts, however, if I'm reading you correctly you're looking for something in a different format.
Thanks for the reply Techgy,

This is for the church satellite at our stake center.

Actually what I am looking for is something similar to the BYU broadcasting page, which gives and hour by hour listing of what is coming across the church satellite (not BYU TV) There are times when the church satellite apparently mirrors BYUTV, but other times when it breaks from that.

It would be in a different format than the paper copies and pdf schedules of events... the full program guide would have listed conference sessions and the title of the programs that run in between sessions, and of course it would be in a format that a computer could parse (XML or text).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Short of breaking into the satellite support system, I don't know as you'd find one. When the church is not using the satellite system, it's BYU-TV (as far as I can tell). Other times it can be a regional conference. Usually in that case the channel is encrypted and you only see a "not authorized" message.

During general conference, it's all different. Between the morning and afternoon sessions, they run various things. I always tape it because it's usually interesting. Sometimes it's the first time I've see that production.

Between days, I think they re-air general conference for other areas of the world.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

michaelbuhrley wrote:Is there any published list of what is playing on the church satellite transponder? (like a TVGuide) We have a DVR/DVD recorder combo that we use to record conference and other broadcasts as needed. It has a nice program listing feature and can take xmltv formatted listings...
A detailed listing of this type is not fed on the satellite channel and, as far as I know, is not prepared for publication. As others have mentioned, the general broadcast schedule is published annually. It would appear to me that you would need to use that schedule and manually set your recorder for those programs.

Although KBYU-TV is fed on the channel many times when other Church programming is not present, I do not believe that permission has been granted to record any of those broadcasts at meetinghouses.

There are other special broadcasts by invitation only. Some of them are only fed to certain specified receivers and are not generally available to even all of the Church meetinghouse receivers.

Return to “General Discussions”