Key Management System

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Swift

Key Management System

Post by Swift »

I was wondering if anyone had any examples of key management software they have used to manage who has been given keys to what locks, and what each key opens. I am looking to organize the way we hand out and retrieve keys when we issue callings and releases to our members. In our stake the Facility Management guys take care of issuing the keys to the building, so we go to them if we need more, but we need to manage the keys they've already issued to us with more organization so we can be better stewards and not lose track of our keys.

The handbook states that it is the ward's responsibility to manage the keys, so I was looking for any examples anyone might have. I'll resort to using Excel if I have to, but I'd prefer something already designed for the purpose.

Maybe this could ultimately be a part of MLS, but I doubt that my little post will start a furore to create a key management module in time to help me get organized, so I'm thinking I'll stick with something existing. :) I already thought of perhaps using a custom field approach, but wouldn't that be too unwieldy?

Thanks in advance!
Swift
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Swift wrote:I am looking to organize the way we hand out and retrieve keys when we issue callings and releases to our members.
There is a sample spreadsheet and a form in the wiki article Building keys. In our stake, we just use spreadsheets similar to that one, and it seems to work just fine.
LTORDUSA1-p40

Key Management System

Post by LTORDUSA1-p40 »

I have created a key sign out page for each calling authorized keys to the building/rooms using a spreadsheet. Then I entered the key description for the keys. I then placed the document in a folder in the computer for each organization. So I have a document in a folder for each calling/organization. When an individual is called, I print the document for that calling and have the member sign for the keys. The document is then placed in a binder kept in a filing cabinet. The difficult thing is ensuring the keys are retrieved when a member is released.

Return to “General Discussions”