MLS Membership Record Requesting/Sending Process

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
tylerrpew-p40

MLS Membership Record Requesting/Sending Process

Post by tylerrpew-p40 »

I have received conflicting information on how requesting and sending membership records really works. Any help on clearing the following up would be helpful.

Here is what I have been told:
  • It doesn't matter if we send a record to another ward because the other ward has to request it. Is this true? This is not what the MLS training says.
  • When someone moves out if the other ward doesn't request their membership records they will remain in our ward until they are requested (no matter if we send them on or not).
  • Because of the above it would seem we would have tons of people in membership records that no longer live in our ward boundaries.
  • If a new person's membership record is requested that just moved in and it doesn't include their record number what is the fastest we can receive these records back. Does someone literally have to look at it if there is not member record number submitted with the request?
Any and all information that can be given on this subject with be of great worth to our ward and stake as everyone seems to thinking something different about these processes.

Thanks,
A Concerned Ward Clerk
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tylerrpew wrote:I have received conflicting information on how requesting and sending membership records really works. Any help on clearing the following up would be helpful.

Here is what I have been told:
  • It doesn't matter if we send a record to another ward because the other ward has to request it. Is this true? This is not what the MLS training says.
No, this is not true. There are at least two methods of moving records. Either the unit the member or family is moving from can move records out of the unit or the unit the family is moving into can request the individual or family records. The MLS training describing the procedures are correct.
tylerrpew wrote:
When someone moves out if the other ward doesn't request their membership records they will remain in our ward until they are requested (no matter if we send them on or not).
This is also incorrect. As before, either the losing unit can move the records out or the gaining unit can request the records.
tylerrpew wrote: Because of the above it would seem we would have tons of people in membership records that no longer live in our ward boundaries.
Having both methods of moving records avoids situations where member records would not be available to the unit in which they actually reside. I can think of several senarios where members could be lost if either method of moving records was not available.
tylerrpew wrote: If a new person's membership record is requested that just moved in and it doesn't include their record number what is the fastest we can receive these records back. Does someone literally have to look at it if there is not member record number submitted with the request?
The quickest way to get a member's record is to have their member number included in the request for the membership records (done throught MLS Request Individual Record). But if the member record is not known the records can still be requested. Just make sure to include the full name and birth date of the member. Salt Lake will move the records with the record number with just those two pieces of information. For more information about moving records or requesting records see the LDSTech Wiki page New move-ins.

A local priesthoold leader can place a move restriction, or hold, on a membership record for various reasons. It is this case that a record will not be moved even if requested by another unit. For further details see the LDSTech wiki page Move restriction.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tylerrpew wrote:Here is what I have been told:
  • When someone moves out if the other ward doesn't request their membership records they will remain in our ward until they are requested (no matter if we send them on or not).
  • Because of the above it would seem we would have tons of people in membership records that no longer live in our ward boundaries.
I don't know who told you this, but it's definitely not true. You can certainly move records out, and they will be moved (assuming you provided accurate information about the destination ward, and there is no move restriction on that particular record).

We move records quite often, and it works just fine. You do need to be sure about the destination -- if you send it to the wrong ward, you will make extra work for yet another clerk. But as long as you know for certain, go ahead and move the records -- that's the fastest way to get the records there, since you can often move the records on the family's last week in your ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tylerrpew wrote:Because of the above it would seem we would have tons of people in membership records that no longer live in our ward boundaries.
Is this the underlying issue? The others have indicated the correct way things operate, but I'm wondering if the questions you posed are a result of the above?

There are a few different ways that happens. The members may not have announced themselves in the new ward. They may be falling though the cracks in their new ward. Or they may have been moved to "Address Unknown" where some one at CHQ has determined that they are in your ward boundaries.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tylerrpew-p40

What is you only have the address.

Post by tylerrpew-p40 »

Most of the time we don't have the new ward name? If you are transferring someone records out of the ward and only have the new address, does this work the same?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tylerrpew wrote:Most of the time we don't have the new ward name? If you are transferring someone records out of the ward and only have the new address, does this work the same?
You can move records with only the address. However if you know they will be moving into a family unit you can find the most likely unit for the address you have by using the LDS Mapswebsite. For those situations where you are not certain if they will be in a family unit or some other unit such as a singles ward the address will be sufficient to get the records moved. It just may take a little longer for the records to find the correct unit.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tylerrpew wrote:Most of the time we don't have the new ward name? If you are transferring someone records out of the ward and only have the new address, does this work the same?
If all you have is the address, that's fine. I'll bet the majority of the membership records move that way and do so just fine.

The only time I'd check to find out what the new ward is if I knew that member was going to go to the singles, student, language or other speciality ward for that area. Then I'd look it up to prevent it from landing in the assigned "normal" ward for that address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

You really don't even have to have the address. If it is a well known fact in the ward that a person is not living there anymore, you can move the records out and when it asks for a forwarding address, click "No". This will then open a notes field that any information that may assist in locating the member can be recorded (i.e. phone number, email address, family members, etc.)

Obviously this is a last resort solution if no contact with the member can be made and should be ultimately decided by the local bishop who has stewardship over the records.
Caleb
sicelosizanyawo

Re: MLS Membership Record Requesting/Sending Process

Post by sicelosizanyawo »

May I ask Mnguni family records that are in Bethlehem ward, in Durban South Africa mission to be move to Ezikhaweni Branch, in Richards bay District, Durban South Africa.

From President Nyawo
eblood66

Re: MLS Membership Record Requesting/Sending Process

Post by eblood66 »

sicelosizanyawo wrote:May I ask Mnguni family records that are in Bethlehem ward, in Durban South Africa mission to be move to Ezikhaweni Branch, in Richards bay District, Durban South Africa.

From President Nyawo
These forums are only user-to-user help. We can't change or move membership records. You need to do that using Leader and Clerk Resources. If you're having problems using LCR you'll need to contact the Global Service Center or your local area office.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”