Companion Tool for MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mbsteed

Companion Tool for MLS

Post by mbsteed »

I have recently put together a companion database for MLS. It is designed to be used by Bishops to keep notes and keep track of information from interviews. If anyone finds it useful, great - it is a free download. Works on Windows and Mac. Suggestions for improvement would be welcome, it is a work in progress.

http://web.mac.com/marlo.steed/MemDbase/
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

mbsteed wrote:I have recently put together a companion database for MLS. It is designed to be used by Bishops to keep notes and keep track of information from interviews. If anyone finds it useful, great - it is a free download. Works on Windows and Mac. Suggestions for improvement would be welcome, it is a work in progress.

Very cool. What technology did you use to create this? Do you plan on open sourcing it so others can contribute?

Tom
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

I created it in Filemaker Pro.

When I first read your request to make the file open source, I thought sure I have no qualms about doing that. However, then I started to wonder if that might pose a security threat (someone able to bypass the admin access), I will have to give that more thought - it might be fine. Until I am able to think that through, please send me a request through e-mail and I will make the source file available to you. Tell me your position, how you want to change it, etc.

If people add features to it, then I could update the master version and post that on the web site.

I hope it is of some help to others. I know it has been a life saver in my calling.

If anyone uses it, why don't you post a reply to this thread and tell us what you think.

Thanks
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Maybe this would be a great thing for the MLS people to add-onto the MLS program. I am sure that if this can bypass the admin info, then it might be a security hole that will be patched up soon. But no fear, you just helped the church software become more secure. :D
- David
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

This doesn't represent a potential security breach of MLS, I was just referring to my adjunct software. My program does not use any of the admin info from MLS. I was referring to the security of my program which is totally independent of MLS or MLS admin info.
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

I have given it some thought and I don't think posting the source file would pose any security issues - at least that I can think of, so I will post the source code as soon as I have a chance.

When I have the source file up, I will add a post here.
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

Okay the membership database program (FileMaker) source file is now posted and can be downloaded. Again if you make changes or useful customizations, then share it through this forum. I will try to consolidate updates through the Membership Database web site:

Out of two Bishops that I have shared this with so far, one has no tech savvy so this does not appeal to him but the other Bishop uses this program on an constant basis and thinks it is worthwhile. One suggestion would be to share this with your Bishop to see if such a solution might be useful for him (particularly if he already has a laptop computer).
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

Here is a screen-shot of the main menu to give a sense for what information this database provides for Bishops.
Attachments
mainmenu.jpg
mainmenu.jpg (48.81 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

Here is a screen-shot of the detail view that displays the fields available for Bishops.
Attachments
detail.jpg
(94.92 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Thanks for the post and I think that this can be very useful.
Though I'll have to wait till I get home to view it.
- David

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”