RF Modulator

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
davidgil-p40

RF Modulator

Post by davidgil-p40 »

Sorry if this is a rookie question, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I have in the stake technology closet. I've ordered a Sony EVID70 camera for our stake center. I am going to use s-video out - over CAT5E - to s-video using 2 s-video balun's by Muxlab. This gets me s-video to the closet. Looking at the distribution equipment for the building, I only see RF inputs (coax). Unless I'm missing something, I would need to use a RF modulator to get the signal onto the equipment. Is this the correct way? Does the church provide or recommend standard equipment for this? Assuming I need one, anyone recommend a good RF modulator for this purpose? Other ideas?
Thanks much,
David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you look at the rack, you probably already have some modulator(s) in there. Perhaps a Pico or Blonder-Tongue brand.

You might look carefully at the connection. I've seen a number of base-band video that uses the "F" connector. So not all "F" connections are "rf".

Some installations even have a input from the chapel for "camera" that connects it to it's own modulator.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If you are trying to get the video from the camera distributed to other locations in the building then all the equipment you need is already in place. There should be a video feed either in the chapel overflow or in the cultural hall that the camera can be connected to. If it is like our building it will be an RCA jack. If you look at the RF modulators in the satellite closet there is an RF modulator setup for channel 6. That is the modulator that the video feed from the chapel overflow or cultural hall connects to.

Any feeds into the satellite system hardware should be coordinated with the FM Group. They have the responsibility for setting up and maintaining that system. They will definitely want to know what you are planning to do; especially if you are planning on bybassing the Church provided feeds to the system in favor of another.

If you are looking to set up building to building communications then using the satellite RF modulators is not necessary. Your camera would be connected to the WebCast communicator and not the satellite RF modulators.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davidgil-p40

Post by davidgil-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:If you are trying to get the video from the camera distributed to other locations in the building then all the equipment you need is already in place.....(cut)
......If you are looking to set up building to building communications then using the satellite RF modulators is not necessary....(cut)

Thanks for the reply JD. Both of the conditions you mention are true. I need to distribute internally and also for WebCast. I guess 2 options for me would be:
1) Take both s-video and RCA video out of camera and run s-video direct to WebCast device and RCA video into church distribution system. This seems like it would give best video for the WebCast.
2) Take only RCA video out of camera and run into distribution system. Then pull S-Video out of DVD recorder that is hooked into church system and run it into the WebCast device. This seems like video quality would suffer, although perhaps not enough to be noticeable on a WebCast.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There are others that are thinking about similar needs as you are being faced with. In the thread "Sony EVI D-70 Outputs" they needed two simultaneous video feeds from the same camera. It sounds like your option 1 is near to what others are considering.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jdlessley wrote:...
If you look at the RF modulators in the satellite closet there is an RF modulator setup for channel 6. That is the modulator that the video feed from the chapel overflow or cultural hall connects to.
Minor point: The channel numbers are not always the same. Each building may have its own channel scheme.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”