certified check-stk clk

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brianfryhoff-p40

certified check-stk clk

Post by brianfryhoff-p40 »

I have a ward clerk that has been ask by his Bishop to get make out a certified check. How is that generally done?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

A "certified check" is usually certified by the issuing bank. Essentially, the bank is guaranteeing that the funds are in the account to cover it. Since the "bank" in the case of our unit is in Salt Lake City, I couldn't just walk into the bank to certify my check.

I could, however, walk into a local bank here in Texas and purchase a cashier's check. With proper identification, the bank would probably take a unit check in payment for this service.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I've had to do this a few times and essentially boomerbubba outlined the procedure we used. That is, make the check out to a local bank, including any extra fees, and have the bank issue a certified check to the desired party. There is a potential gap in the documentation trail, so be sure to keep ALL check stubs and receipts stapled together with whatever check-request form your unit uses.

Our bishop always volunteered to hand-carry the check from MLS to the bank, so I'm not sure what credentials are needed to make the process work. Of course, unit checks are probably scrutinized a bit less here in Utah than other places. ;)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Just to keep the nomenclature straight: A "certified check" and a "cashier's check" are two different instruments. I think the latter is more common.

As I understand it, I can write a check on my personal banking account with BofA. If I go to a BofA branch, for a fee, the bank can verify the funds and stamp that check as certified.

A cashier's check is written by the bank on its own account, on its own check stock. It is purchased over the counter for a fee, like a money order. (That is why, as Mikerowaved said, it is important to retain all that chain of paper documentation.)

I suspect that what the bishop is seeking in this case is really a cashier's check.

Caveat: I have no professional accounting experience or training, and my personal financial paperwork is not in very good order, which explains why I was called as ward finance clerk. :)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

boomerbubba wrote:Just to keep the nomenclature straight: A "certified check" and a "cashier's check" are two different instruments. I think the latter is more common.
Thanks for the clarification.
boomerbubba wrote:...and my personal financial paperwork is not in very good order, which explains why I was called as ward finance clerk. :)
lol. Yes, the Lord certainly knows each of our weaknesses and tries like crazy to help us make them our strengths, sometimes whether we want them that way or not. ;)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”