Who can use the Meetinghouse Internet

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
GJL-p40

Who can use the Meetinghouse Internet

Post by GJL-p40 »

We have wireless access to the Internet in the building that is used for MLS/Clerk access and for access for the FHC. I would like to be able to use a laptop to access the CES broadcasts in order to stream those in the event that the satellite link fails (happens too often for my liking). Is this possible? Does it need to be a church-provided laptop? I am based in the UK.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Welcome to the forum!

As I understand it, the local leadership (Stake President, specifically) determines the access restrictions for attaching personal computers to the network at the chapel. I doubt you'll have much issue with a request such as yours, even for a personally owned laptop.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I can only tell you what the policy is here in the U.S. as I don't have access to all the information for the U.K.

In the U.S. the Stake President sets the policy for his stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I need to add, this may depend on how your system is setup. Back when this first started, the church used a program Odyssey to secure the wireless connections. I believe there are licensing issues in trying to install that on a non-Church owned computer.

However, under the current guidelines (at least in the U.S.) Odyssey can be dropped and a standard WPA or WPA2 encryption used. Note that if this is changed, it has to be changed for all the computers that use that access point.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”