Unable to add new High Priest leaders

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
zaneclark

Unable to add new High Priest leaders

Post by zaneclark »

This is something new. I printed out a copy of the leadership list today to update the web site and the HP leadership list was blank. The HP leader and the clerks said that they had tried several ways to get it to accept the names without success. They guessed that because HP leaders are called by the stake, it would have to be entered at the stake level. Anyone had this problem or no anything about this?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zaneclark wrote: The HP leader and the clerks said that they had tried several ways to get it to accept the names without success. They guessed that because HP leaders are called by the stake, it would have to be entered at the stake level.
No, the ward has to enter these names in MLS.

What exactly is the problem? Are the new leaders high priests? If so, their names should show up in the drop down box to select. If not, change the drop down box to All to pick up everyone else.

And, for course, if their records are not in the unit, they will not be able to add them.

Other than that, I just successfully made a change in the test database.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

The high priest group leader must be a high priest. MLS does not require the 1st assistant, 2nd assistant or secretary to be high priests.

You can check the individual's record to verify that there is a high priest ordination recorded.

Additionally, MLS requires that the high priest group leadership be members of the high priest group, regardless of their ordination status. To check this out I reassigned an ordained high priest to the elders quorum and then tried to add him as the high priest group leader, secretary, or assistant. MLS would not permit any of this.

There are two ways to try and get them into the high priests group in MLS.

1. Go to the individual's record and click the Reset Organizations For Member link.

2. If that doesn't work, you can manually add them to the high priests group. One way to do this is to navigate from the MLS menu bar to Organizations > High Priests > set the Show: dropdown box to Members > click the Add Members link if they don't show up in the list > then set the Office: dropdown box to All > then checkmark the members to add and click Save.

If you still can't add them to the leadership positions, back up MLS to a file and then restore the MLS database from that backup file. Backup/Restore supposedly to forces MLS to rebuild its indexes.

If you still can't add them after that, then its time to enlist the help of the stake clerk and potentially Clerk Support.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zaneclark wrote:The HP leader and the clerks said that they had tried several ways to get it to accept the names without success.
It would help if you could describe the procedure they used, or tried to use, to enter the names. It may seem obvious to some what the procedure is. But to a new user of MLS not all procedures are intuitive. For example to enter a new High Priest Group Leader the procedures are:
  1. Click High Priests in the Organization pane. Alternatively select Organizations > High Priests from the menu bar.
  2. On the High Priests tab in the Leadership Callings group click the Add Position link.
  3. In the Add Position dialog box click the Select button next to the Position text box
  4. Select the High Priests Group Leader position and click the OK button. Alternatively doubleclick the High Priests Group Leader position.
  5. In the Person Being Called group click the Select button.
  6. Ensure the Office listbox shows High Priest
  7. Either scroll through the names list to find the candidate or begin typing the candidate's last name. As you type the names will be narrowed down to find your selection.
  8. Enter the date sustained.
  9. Select YES for Set apart if they have been set apart.
  10. Click the save button.
I know the first time I used MLS I was not certain how to enter names for callings because the Add Position link appeared to be the method a new position was added rather than connecting or assigning a name to a calling method. It was only after I had spent quite a few minutes looking for something more along the line of assigning a name to a calling did I get the idea to just click the Add Position link.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
wgasser-p40

Post by wgasser-p40 »

Is this the same basic idea for change in Bishop/Branch presidency positions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wgasser wrote:Is this the same basic idea for change in Bishop/Branch presidency positions?
Sort of, but not really. There's no issue of being a member of the High Priests organization as was described above.

In MLS when you select a person to be a counselor in the Bishopric organization, it will default to showing High Priests. But you can use the Office dropdown to show all MP holders.
bfrasure

Post by bfrasure »

The above steps did not work. I was able to fix the problem with the following steps -
Go to the menu item "Organizations", Select "Elders", in "Show" select "Members", scroll to the individual's name, click "Remove", in "Select the destination organization" select "High Priests".
Once this was completed I was able to add the individual to one of the callings in the High Priest's group.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bfrasure wrote:The above steps did not work. I was able to fix the problem with the following steps -
Go to the menu item "Organizations", Select "Elders", in "Show" select "Members", scroll to the individual's name, click "Remove", in "Select the destination organization" select "High Priests".
Once this was completed I was able to add the individual to one of the callings in the High Priest's group.
Once a High Priest has been moved to the Elders Quorum his name will not appear on the member list for High Priests when trying to add him to a leader position within the High Priest group.

He may have been moved there to fill a calling in the Elders Quorum presidency. Other possible reasons for not finding a name in the list of members for a calling in the High Priest group is that his ordination has not been recorded in MLS. One other scenario I cannot test that may cause a name not to appear on the list of members is when a member of the Elders Quorum presidency is ordained to the office of High Priest. If the ordination is recorded before the calling in the Elders Quorum presidency is deleted then the move to the High Priest group would not be automatic.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”