Old Uncleared checks

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
rexgj

Old Uncleared checks

Post by rexgj »

There are two checks that continue to show up on my financial statement, they are about two years old. I have contacted both parties (one is a radiology business, the other a ward member). The radiology company says they show no unpaid invoices, and cannot even find a statement for the amount of this outstanding check.

The member has no recollection of the uncleared check.
Both checks were escheated in February. Why do they continue to show up on our financial statement, and how do I clear them off?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rexgj wrote:There are two checks that continue to show up on my financial statement, they are about two years old. I have contacted both parties (one is a radiology business, the other a ward member). The radiology company says they show no unpaid invoices, and cannot even find a statement for the amount of this outstanding check.

The member has no recollection of the uncleared check.
Both checks were escheated in February. Why do they continue to show up on our financial statement, and how do I clear them off?
The process can take several months. When they do finally work through the process of the Church processing them, sending them to the state, the state doing whatever it does, reporting back to the Church, and the Church finally processing them, you will see an entry on your financial statement.

Since it has been 7 months, it might be prudent to call the Finance Department and just make sure that these checks are still in the works.
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

Thanks.

This should have been caught long ago (before I was called), but is troubling that they continue to show up on our financial statement, even after the escheatment process. I'll check with SL soon and see where we stand.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

rexgj wrote:The radiology company says they show no unpaid invoices, and cannot even find a statement for the amount of this outstanding check.
In my opinion and with my understanding, this check did not need to be escheated. If there are no outstanding invoices, then the bill was covered by some other means, and the check can just be voided. It is not unclaimed money.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:In my opinion and with my understanding, this check did not need to be escheated. If there are no outstanding invoices, then the bill was covered by some other means, and the check can just be voided. It is not unclaimed money.
That's a good point. I agree.

And even the check to the member should not be escheated -- if the member cannot remember the check, then dig up the expense authorization form and show it to him. He should either say that yes, he incurred that expense (in which case you void the first one and issue a replacement) or that he did not actually incur that expense (in which case you simply void the check).

However, now that both checks have been submitted to the Church as unclaimed checks, I'm not sure what can be done. Call the Finance Department and ask them. And please report back when you get an answer -- this is an interesting situation I have not heard of before.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown wrote:And even the check to the member should not be escheated
Even better point (as usual) by Alan_Brown. You only need to escheat a check if it's outstanding and you can't get a hold of the payee. If you are communicating with them then there is no need to escheat. At worst, void and reissue.

Again, from my understanding, when you escheat a check to the state, they publish a publically available list of everyone who is "owed" money. However, they do nothing proactive to find you. If you find your name on the list, you can contact the state and claim your money. After some set time period (I think a year) the state claims/takes the money. The payee has lost their legal right to the money. The state won't give it to them if they claim it after this time period and legally the payor is cleared of any responsibility to pay them should they come back looking for the money.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:After some set time period (I think a year) the state claims/takes the money.
Actually, in most states where I have lived, you are always entitled to the money if you can identify yourself. But, as you said, the state makes no effort to find you, other than whatever is legally required, such as an annual publication in a newspaper.

So the state sits on billions of dollars and earns interest on it while they are waiting to see if you will come along and claim your money. Most folks never do.

Yes, the ideal way is to not let the check become stale.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”