MLS to GPS

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mkmurray wrote:Boomerbubba was not addressing that demo. He was addressing brooksby's custom implementation.

Right. The demo, I am presuming, uses the Google Maps API and possibly the parallel API from Microsoft, as well. (Like maps.lds.org does today) And the application would be custom-programmed at lds.org. It would not necessarily look like the Google Maps public web site at all, but it might.

What brooksby mentioned in his original post was the "My Maps" section of the public Google web site. That is another creature entirely. It is a third-party web site, and using it to display maps and data downloaded from MLS or LUWS is pretty clearly coloring outside the lines of church policy.

(There are other ways to use Google Maps, even My Maps, in ways that do not violate policy, but brooksby seems to be talking about a straight upload to My Maps.)
gbrooksby

Post by gbrooksby »

I should have been more clear. I use the VCF file downloaded from the LUWS. Of course this flows from what is input to MLS. I was too loose with my terminology.

I was hoping to attend the recent Tech. Talk, but missed it due to - you guessed it - a church meeting. I'm glad to hear the church will be producing ward maps with boundaries. The big question is, "when?!"
gbrooksby

Post by gbrooksby »

Another follow up. I was only making an observation about Google's "My Maps" ability to read .gpx format. I don't upload any data from the church website there. As I said, Google Earth can also read .gpx. Since it's a standard format there are a host of programs that could ingest this type of file.

One version of my program writes straight to KML. The beauty of this is that a bishop could use it off-line and make notes about individual members on the map. If the KML file were then maintained in an SVN (or CVS) repository, you could have version control over the KML file. As members come and go, you could update the file while maintaining all previous notes made.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”