Missing confirmation of adult children on IOS

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
klkamper

Missing confirmation of adult children on IOS

Post by klkamper »

:confused:

I have a member who was reviewing their IOS and noticed that the confirmation date is missing for one of their children, no longer residing at home.

Is there a way to correct that, or find out why the confirmation date was removed?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is there a membership number for the child? If there is, then that should be all that's needed.

If not, then I'd suggest working with clerk support to add that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

RussellHltn wrote:If not, then I'd suggest working with clerk support to add that.
It would be best to have the member contact their child and get the information updated through the child's local ward clerk. If that is not an option, please contact us for further assistance.
Caleb
klkamper

Child is currently inactive

Post by klkamper »

CzechRM wrote:If that is not an option, please contact us for further assistance.

This is not an option, the child is less active. Tonight I sent a request via MLS to membership services. The mother does not have a certificate of his baptism and confirmation in her memory book, and would like to get the information corrected on her record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Here's my read on the situation:

If the mother's record has the child's record number, then that is probably the limits of your authority. If there is no record number, then work to have it added.

Beyond that, it's probably in the hands of the clerk that has the child's records. Conceivably it even involves a confidential matter. But since the child is now an adult, it would be a breach of confidentiality to let the mother know.

You might also check the handbook on how missing dates are dealt with. I'm sure it takes more then the mother's say-so.

But go ahead and call.

Edit: Duh! I think I know the answer - since the church uses membership number and confirmation date for login information, the confirmation date on the parent's records may well be blanked out for adult children. But it would be worth checking other records to see if that's the case.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
klkamper

Post by klkamper »

The confirmation date of all the other children are listed on the record, just this one is missing. I think that's part of what called her attention to it.

Thanks everyone for your insight and help.
greggo

Post by greggo »

kekamper wrote:This is not an option, the child is less active.
I just thought of something.

Does anyone know how it looks on a parent's record when a child is excommunicated or has their name removed from the records of the church? A confirmation date in this case would no longer be valid, and maybe it is therefore removed from the parents' records?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

We've already seen in the thread Editing children's names that it can happen that the information about children on a parent's record may not match the information on the child's record.

So it's entirely possible that the child's record is entirely correct, but the information on the parent's record needs to be corrected. In that case, the fix cannot be done on the child's record, but must somehow be done on the parent's record.
birdld-p40

Post by birdld-p40 »

kekamper wrote::confused:

I have a member who was reviewing their IOS and noticed that the confirmation date is missing for one of their children, no longer residing at home.

Is there a way to correct that, or find out why the confirmation date was removed?
This is something that has changed on the child's record and not on the parents record. It most likely involves a confidential issue. Be careful the way you approach it, but it is out of your control. The only thing you can really tell the parent is to contact their child.

Return to “Membership Help”