Editing children's names

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lorraine1950

Editing children's names

Post by lorraine1950 »

We recently received a family's records into our ward. The children's names on the parent's records are listed as: "last name first name comma last name first name". The computer doesn't recognize it as an error, since there's a comma making it think it's a legitimate name. All the children are this way, and there are several.
I can find no way to edit the children's names, short of removing them and reentering them. Please tell me there's an easier way.
Yes, I'm supposed to go to the Stake Clerk for help, but that's also me.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

E&LDow wrote:The children's names on the parent's records are listed as: "last name first name comma last name first name".
Are the names that way on the records of the children? That would be the place to edit the names, if you have their records.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

E&LDow wrote:We recently received a family's records into our ward. The children's names on the parent's records are listed as: "last name first name comma last name first name". The computer doesn't recognize it as an error, since there's a comma making it think it's a legitimate name. All the children are this way, and there are several.
I can find no way to edit the children's names, short of removing them and reentering them. Please tell me there's an easier way.
Yes, I'm supposed to go to the Stake Clerk for help, but that's also me.
You may have to make those edits from a ward install of MLS? (Not sure if Stake installs of MLS can alter membership records like that)

You should be able to edit the names and it sounds like the "Last Name" text field probably has both names and the "First Name" text field also has both names. The fix would be to split the names up into their appropriate fields. When asked what the "reason" for the name change is, I would probably choose "Spelling Correction" or something similar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:Not sure if Stake installs of MLS can alter membership records like that
Other than assigning them to stake callings and activating a temple recommend, I don't think the stake can make do ANY changes to a member's record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

The children's names are correct on their individual records, just messed up on the paren't records listing of children.
Yes, the last name and first name fields contain both names on the parent's records listing of children.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

RussellHltn wrote:Other than assigning them to stake callings and activating a temple recommend, I don't think the stake can make do ANY changes to a member's record.
That's true, I've tried as a Stake butt't Clerk to update member's records to show ordinations, etc. when the Ward Clerk just can't seem to get around to it. The Stake can't do it, has to be the Ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

E&LDow wrote:The children's names are correct on their individual records, just messed up on the paren't records listing of children.
Yes, the last name and first name fields contain both names on the parent's records listing of children.
So when you go to the Children tab of one of the parent's individual record, what do you see? Are the children's names actual blue links? If so, when you click on the link, does it bring up a screen where you can edit the name?
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Alan_Brown wrote:So when you go to the Children tab of one of the parent's individual record, what do you see? Are the children's names actual blue links? If so, when you click on the link, does it bring up a screen where you can edit the name?
The "children" tab is where the problem is. The children are listed as last name first name comma last name first name. Actually, it doesn't link, since there are no individual records in the ward that match the name as listed on the parent's records. The children's records show their names correctly.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

E&LDow wrote:The "children" tab is where the problem is. The children are listed as last name first name comma last name first name. Actually, it doesn't link, since there are no individual records in the ward that match the name as listed on the parent's records. The children's records show their names correctly.
It appears the linking is not correct then, if indeed you don't see a link you can click on to go to each child's record in the "Children" tab.

You may want to go to each child's record and redo the information for father and mother. Since all members are in the same unit, you will want to use the functionality provided where you can choose the name of each parent from the list of ward members, having the rest of the information (full name, birthdate, record number, etc.) be auto-populated in the other text fields. This will of course have to be done in the ward's install of MLS, but it should fix the linking I think.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:It appears the linking is not correct then, if indeed you don't see a link you can click on to go to each child's record in the "Children" tab.

You may want to go to each child's record and redo the information for father and mother. Since all members are in the same unit, you will want to use the functionality provided where you can choose the name of each parent from the list of ward members, having the rest of the information (full name, birthdate, record number, etc.) be auto-populated in the other text fields. This will of course have to be done in the ward's install of MLS, but it should fix the linking I think.
When you look at the Children tab for each of the parents, do the children have Membership Record Numbers listed? If they don't, then the above suggestion would most likely duplicate each of the children on the parents' records. But that might not be so bad -- you would then just have to remove each incorrect child from the parents' records.

Return to “Membership Help”