MLS passwords don't associate with usernames

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jwdezign

MLS passwords don't associate with usernames

Post by jwdezign »

We got a nasty little trojan horse on one of the wards computer so I cleaned it out, found all the backup files and other files associated with MLS and Units (I think), formated the drive, loaded the OS back on, put the associated files back in the same folders I got them from and installed MLS. When I start MLS all the usernames are there but the passwords associated with them don't work.

Anybody have any suggestions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jwdezign wrote:We got a nasty little trojan horse on one of the wards computer so I cleaned it out, found all the backup files and other files associated with MLS and Units (I think), formated the drive, loaded the OS back on, put the associated files back in the same folders I got them from and installed MLS. When I start MLS all the usernames are there but the passwords associated with them don't work.

Anybody have any suggestions?
You said you put the files back and then installed MLS. Some of the files MLS needs are subfolders of C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS. I have done it in the other order; otherwise I would be worried that the MLS installation might overwrite some of the files I had restored.
jwdezign

Post by jwdezign »

Alan_Brown wrote:You said you put the files back and then installed MLS. Some of the files MLS needs are subfolders of C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS. I have done it in the other order; otherwise I would be worried that the MLS installation might overwrite some of the files I had restored.

I went back and did it the way you suggested. I also updated the MLS to 3.0.2. I pasted in copies of the original files (I saved copies of the original files) but the usernames are still showing up with no password association.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jwdezign wrote:I went back and did it the way you suggested. I also updated the MLS to 3.0.2. I pasted in copies of the original files (I saved copies of the original files) but the usernames are still showing up with no password association.
Do you have an MLS backup (the database backup file actually created by MLS) from the last time MLS was used? If so, you could try doing a clean install of MLS with no units, then restore the backup to get the data (rather than restoring the Units folder under the MLS folder).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Are you saying that there are no users that have access to MLS because all passwords do not work? If that is correct then I would uninstall MLS and rename the 'C:\program files\LDS Church' folder to something else, perhaps "C:\program files\LDS Church Old". Then I would install MLS afresh and use the new install to create an administrator username and password at the initial setup screen. Then at the welcome screen select the 'Restore from a File' option and select one of your backup files. Note that you will have to enter the ward and branch unit numbers and names at the setup screen.

The reason for renaming the 'LDS Church' folder is to be able to recover some important information available in such files as the Dialer.properties file. Once everything is working correctly and all settings are correct then you can delete the renamed folder.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to consult the Wiki article Lost user names (MLS). While the symptoms are not identical, the solution is the same.

I've never heard of just loosing passwords. I have to wonder if maybe the data you restored is so old that you have to use old passwords rather then current ones.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”