Handbook Policy

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
mcechini-p40

Handbook Policy

Post by mcechini-p40 »

The Church Handbook of Instruction has a section devoted to websites, and in my opinion it is very clear that lds.org is the only approved internet presence that the church approves of. It states explicitly that websites are not approved for auxiliaries, scout programs, and the wards themselves. It even highlights the statement regarding not the policy on what it terms the church's "internet presence." I don't get to take the handbook home, so I can't quote it verbatim, but anyone interested (and with access) can look this up in Book 1.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

mcechini wrote:The Church Handbook of Instruction has a section devoted to websites, and in my opinion it is very clear that lds.org is the only approved internet presence that the church approves of. It states explicitly that websites are not approved for auxiliaries, scout programs, and the wards themselves. It even highlights the statement regarding not the policy on what it terms the church's "internet presence." I don't get to take the handbook home, so I can't quote it verbatim, but anyone interested (and with access) can look this up in Book 1.
You should probably consult with your priesthood leader about your concerns.

Please note that the local unit websites (LUWS - for stakes and wards) that are discussed in this forum are hosted within the http://www.lds.org domain, and they are authorized and approved.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mcechini wrote:The Church Handbook of Instruction has a section devoted to websites, and in my opinion it is very clear that lds.org is the only approved internet presence that the church approves of.
The Church has many other sites other than LDS.org. The mention of LDS.org in the CHI is in regard to stake and ward web sites. When refering to approved Church websites the presence of the Church logo is an indicator that the site is sponsored by the Church. A list of Church websites can be found at the LDSTech Wiki article "Church Websites". As you review that list you will see that LDS.org is not the only Internet presence for which the Church approves. There are also country or area websites that are permitted that are not listed on the Wiki article. Approval for those sites are handled through the Area offices.

When speaking of stake and ward (district and branch also) web presence, then the format developed by the Church on LDS.org is the only official presence that Church units may have on the Internet.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mcechini-p40

Post by mcechini-p40 »

Agreed. My statement was implicitly using the context to which this thread was discussing. More correctly, my statement should have been "
The Church Handbook of Instruction has a section devoted to websites, and in my opinion it is very clear that _the local unit websites off of_ lds.org are the only approved internet presence that the church approves of _for units._ Obviously mormon.org and other sites are approved of by the church.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Also be aware that Church HQ has sent letters regarding official policy to Stake and Ward Priesthood leaders that updates and changes that shown in the CHI. Your Stake Clerk should be able to provide copies if you need them. It would be good for your Ward Clerk to make a file to keep new policy letters in as they are received for future reference.
One idea would be to take apart a CHI and put it in a 3-ring binder, then insert new policy letters into the appropriate section.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

E&LDow wrote:One idea would be to take apart a CHI and put it in a 3-ring binder, then insert new policy letters into the appropriate section.
Good practice. The procedure for handling updates or supplements in the CHI is to write in changes and keep these supplementary materials together.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

E&LDow wrote:One idea would be to take apart a CHI and put it in a 3-ring binder, then insert new policy letters into the appropriate section.
I'm not so sure taking apart the handbook would be a good idea. Too easy for pages to go "missing". It could still be included in a binder with the policy letters added, though.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”