Use of meeting house internet

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
DFB-p40

Use of meeting house internet

Post by DFB-p40 »

I am having trouble getting permission to use the already installed meeting house internet to teach a class on the new family search program.
I want to go online and access the site. I have been told that this is against church policy. I cannot find any policy that directly deals with this.
Does anyone know any guidelines that will clear up this issue?

Thanks DFB
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

DFB wrote:I am having trouble getting permission to use the already installed meeting house internet to teach a class on the new family search program.
I want to go online and access the site. I have been told that this is against church policy. I cannot find any policy that directly deals with this.
Does anyone know any guidelines that will clear up this issue?

Thanks DFB
Can you be a little more specific? Where is the Internet installed? Since the stake is responsible for the local Internet cost, they generally set the policy as to who has access.

Access to specific web sites is controlled through the ASA5505 firewall itself, and depends upon the access level that's been ordered, which again is controlled by the stake.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
gloschatsr

Post by gloschatsr »

Normally the ASA5505 is located in the clerks office and a CAT5 or 6 cable may go to another room in the building. The possibility exists that someone, not authorized, could create a network and access the unit computer and its content which is highly confidential.
JAG
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

gloschatsr wrote:Normally the ASA5505 is located in the clerks office and a CAT5 or 6 cable may go to another room in the building. The possibility exists that someone, not authorized, could create a network and access the unit computer and its content which is highly confidential.
JAG
The location of the ASA generally depends upon the point of entry for the DSL/Cable line. The ASA could be located in the same closet or area where the phone line (if you're using DSL) enters the facility. This is usually in a locked closet. Place the ASA there and then bring the CAT5 into the building either by using a hard-line (wired) or wireless.

This method would at least secure the firewall from being bypassed. Clerk's offices are generally restricted to only those members who need access.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

gloschatsr wrote:The possibility exists that someone, not authorized, could create a network and access the unit computer and its content which is highly confidential.
While this is possible, it is not very likely. A few challenges must be over come. The first is to have access to the clerk computer for a period long enough to set up the computer. As Techgy points out this access is limited to only a trusted few. Even if a network was set up, the confidential information all resides in MLS which requires a username, password and the necessary permissions to view the information. If we cannot trust the people who have all this access then...
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
gloschatsr

Post by gloschatsr »

Thanks for answering. I don't install access to the ASA in clandestine FHC libraries. We only provide internet to Salt Lake certified centers. FH consultants are to go to the homes of those who are in need of help, OR, go to a FHC in the area. My Stake President agrees.
pbhanney

Policies and Guidelines

Post by pbhanney »

We just received an update of the "Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Recording Keeping" which is dated August 2009. In it states: "If MLS is used on a family history center computer, the MLS database should be stored on external media and locked in a secure place when not in use."

So, this sort of sounds to me that it isn't forbidden (however, as stated the Stake President decides this ultimately), but that the actual database should not be on the computer. I also realize that this is talking about family history centers and not particularly about using the Clerk's computer for family history, however, I think it could be a pretty good guideline that in order to use the Clerk's computer for anything besides Clerkiness jobs the database should be moved to an external disk. However, this is just my interpretation.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pbhanney wrote:We just received an update of the "Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Recording Keeping" which is dated August 2009. In it states: "If MLS is used on a family history center computer, the MLS database should be stored on external media and locked in a secure place when not in use."
I would note that this has been the policy for some time; the sentence you quoted also is part of the previous 2005 policy, word for word.
pbhanney wrote:So, this sort of sounds to me that it isn't forbidden (however, as stated the Stake President decides this ultimately), but that the actual database should not be on the computer. I also realize that this is talking about family history centers and not particularly about using the Clerk's computer for family history, however, I think it could be a pretty good guideline that in order to use the Clerk's computer for anything besides Clerkiness jobs the database should be moved to an external disk. However, this is just my interpretation.
I would think that the key factor is physical security of the computer. The basic policy is that "Computers should be located in secure areas where bishopric or stake presidency members and ward or stake clerks can work with and print this confidential information in private."

Although a Family History Center is clearly listed as an option for MLS use, it is definitely not preferred. I would also think that it is very rare. So I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that one exception, unless a particular meetinghouse does indeed use an FHC computer for MLS. In any case, you're right that the stake president ultimately makes the interpretation of the policy, based on the particular situation.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In addition to Alan's comments the primary use, or purpose, of the computer is what, in my opinion, drives the policy. A family history center computer's primary purpose is for open public use while an administrative computer is for confidential, private and secured use. A computer open to the public exposes more risk to the data being compromised and it only follows that the safest course in that situation is to remove the data from routine risk exposure. While an administrative computer used for family history work would be on a limited access and probably only to Church members. Exposing the confidential data to any risk beyond that envisioned for an administrative computer is what a stake president should consider when permitting an administrative computer to be used for family history work.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “General Discussions”