Ward and Stake Unit Numbers

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gordonjensen@sbcglobal.ne-p40

Ward and Stake Unit Numbers

Post by gordonjensen@sbcglobal.ne-p40 »

Any way on line to find the unit numbers for wards and stakes? My problem stems from young adults that move away and plan to attend a Young Adult ward. If I try to send the record out with just an address, it will get assigned to the local family ward, not the SYA ward. We have a copy of the unit guide (whatever it is called), but it is from 1995, so missing a lot. I have not tried to send out a record with just a unit name and no unit number, so I don't know if MLS/SLC will accept it or not. But it would be nice if I can have access to a current unit number listing when I am trying to send records out to SYA wards.

Gordon Jensen
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gordonjensen@sbcglobal.ne wrote:Any way on line to find the unit numbers for wards and stakes? My problem stems from young adults that move away and plan to attend a Young Adult ward. If I try to send the record out with just an address, it will get assigned to the local family ward, not the SYA ward. We have a copy of the unit guide (whatever it is called), but it is from 1995, so missing a lot. I have not tried to send out a record with just a unit name and no unit number, so I don't know if MLS/SLC will accept it or not. But it would be nice if I can have access to a current unit number listing when I am trying to send records out to SYA wards.
If you have access to the Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders, you can look up the unit numbers easily. But if you don't have access, see Alternative for those without access on the wiki.

I know that CHQ will accept record moves with no unit, as long as there is an accurate address. But since you are trying to move them to a YSA ward, not the regular ward, you do need to specify the ward. My guess is that it would work with just the ward name, but it's always safer to supply the unit number to avoid any ambiguity.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

gordonjensen@sbcglobal.ne wrote:Any way on line to find the unit numbers for wards and stakes?
If you don't have access to the CDOL, you can still get them. All you need is access to the LUWS. The unit number is part of the URL. So search for the unit you are interested in, open up their home page, and the numbers after the last hyphen and before the ",00.html" are the unit number. As a side note, I've noticed this search works best if I put in LESS info instead of more. Start simple and only add more if too many results appear.

If you are sending the records back the unit they came from, if you look at the bottom right of their membership record (NOT the IOS), the prior unit name and unit number is there.

If you are not sure what ward they are moving to but know the new address, you can use maps.lds.org to locate all the units around them. If you look in the "Assigned Congregations" list (below the "Closest Meetinghouses" section), the first is the family ward they would be assigned to and the rest are specialty units that also overlap (language units, YSA, SA, etc). Find the appropriate unit, click on it and the map moves to that location and opens a "balloon" with the ward name and address, the bishop's name and phone number, and a link to the ward website. Click on the link and get the ward and stake names and unit numbers from the URL for the LUWS homepage that opened.
gordonjensen@sbcglobal.ne-p40

Post by gordonjensen@sbcglobal.ne-p40 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll use the URL method to grab the unit number.

Gordon
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Just wanted to point out that the URL technique I mentioned is the same technique that is described in the Wiki that Alan_Brown's link sends you to.
Alan_Brown wrote:But if you don't have access, see Alternative for those without access on the wiki.
vroberts-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by vroberts-p40 »

Access for CDOL

The following positions have been approved for access:
  • Bishops
  • Branch Presidents
  • Stake Presidents
  • Stake Presidency Counselors
  • Stake Clerks
  • Stake Executive Secretary (if added by the stake president)
  • Assistant stake clerks (if properly specified in MLS using standardized callings)
  • District President and Counselors
  • District Clerk and Assistant Clerks
  • District Executive Secretary
To have access, they must be listed in the correct position in CDOL and have an LDS Account. People with these callings will be listed in CDOL if they have been added using the appropriate Leader and Unit Change Request form or are properly listed in MLS using the standardized callings.

Alternative for those without access

Some clerks and leaders (such as bishopric counselors, ward clerks, and assistant stake clerks) might need to look up bishops of other wards (e.g., to communicate regarding a member who has moved to a new ward in a different stake, or to move records when a member moves). Although access to CDOL would be helpful, it is not permitted under current policy.

One way to look up a bishop is to use the Meetinghouse Locator. Entering a member's new address will display the assigned congregation. Clicking on that congregation's link will display a popup over the map that includes the bishop's last name and a phone number.

For moving membership records, it is helpful to have the ward and stake unit numbers and names for the member's new address[1]. The popup from maps.lds.org described above will have a link labeled "Go to Website" (assuming the new stake participates in the Local Unit Website program, which most do). Following that link will take you to the ward's home page. If you look closely at the URL for that page, it will end in "-nnnnnn,00.html"; the "nnnnnn" is the unit number for the ward. Similarly, if you then follow the "Stake Home" link from the ward's home page, you will be taken to the stake's home page, where you can examine the URL to obtain the stake's unit number.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

vroberts wrote:Access for CDOL

The following positions have been approved for access:

Alternative for those without access

Some clerks and leaders...
It would be better not to extensively quote Wiki pages here in the forums, but to provide the appropriate link(s) instead (as was done by Alan_Brown earlier in the thread). The reason for this is that the Wiki text could change or update, and then your quoted excerpt here in the forums would then be out of sync. A link to the Wiki page will not have the same potential problem.
szqz1952

Re: Ward and Stake Unit Numbers

Post by szqz1952 »

[/list]
Las Colinas
boydk

Post by boydk »

nampa idaho 7th ward
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boydk wrote:nampa idaho 7th ward
Are you asking for the unit number of that ward? If so, you can easily look it up yourself.

Just do the following:
  1. Go to LDS.org
  2. On the My Account and Ward menu in the upper right corner, choose Meetinghouse Locator
  3. In the search box, type "Nampa 7th Ward" (note that you omit the "Idaho" here, since that's not part of the ward's official name; typically only stake names include the state in the US).
  4. Click on the suggest item "Nampa 7th Ward"
  5. If you are signed in, you'll see the unit number listed right after the ward name in the popup that appears
  6. Even if you're not signed in, you can look at the URL (web address) in your browser's address bar. It should end with something like "id=ward:93114", which tells you that the unit number for that ward is 93114.

Return to “Membership Help”