small ldscatalog redesign...

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Kyrandita

small ldscatalog redesign...

Post by Kyrandita »

EDIT: Please skip to post 5 as the beginning is just me getting used to Forums... I don't know if anyone thinks its worth the trouble... but don't give up just because I am new to forums...

first of all, Having just registered for the site... and I noticed that the links for the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct are both leading to other things... different articles on the site... I'm pretty sure I understand what kind of conduct is expected on a church site, but I just thought it should be mentioned so it can be fixed...

Anyway, I'm also not really sure if this is the place to mention this, but I've done a redesign of a small section of the www.ldscatalog.com site.

One of the reasons I wanted to read the code of conduct is because I'm not sure of the level we are allowed to do things of this nature exactly. the section of the site I redesigned is behind the member verification area and while it only contains product numbers and such... is still information not otherwise accesable to the general public...

I would just like to make sure I can post my modification (which is a working copy of the HTML of the original... with my content added in just so people could see how it would look in a final version...) without any problems.

Should I post only my modified code here in the forum? I imagine no as it would take up a TON of space...

and before anyone gets worried about me breaking the site or making a huge redesign, I only am altering a small content area and it is using all the same CSS tags from the original, it should be as easy as copying my section of code into a template and uploading it... but I don't know how the database program running the site would handle that really so you'll have to let me know how feasable it is...

I made this system when I was on my mission and spent the last week learning CSS so I could make a working example because it's a TON easier to show what I'm doing than to explain it...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Kyrandita wrote:first of all, Having just registered for the site... and I noticed that the links for the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct are both leading to other things... different articles on the site... I'm pretty sure I understand what kind of conduct is expected on a church site, but I just thought it should be mentioned so it can be fixed...
Welcome to the site.

We'd love to fix the links you say are not working, but I can't find any such links that go to the wrong place. There are links to the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct all the way at the bottom of each page:
CoC.JPG
CoC.JPG (8.83 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
But those links work just fine for me. There are other links to the ToU and CoC from the home page of LDSTech, too, but they work fine as well.

But rather than me hunting all over, could you let me know where the links are that took you to the wrong places?
Kyrandita

Post by Kyrandita »

the first one was this:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/register.php

inside the forum rules section, those links led me to other articles on the site...

then I noticed that the FAQ area of the site had the same issue...

someone else also noticed this...

http://tech.lds.org/forum/project.php?issueid=17

I outlined this a little better in that thread... so is it ok to post a URL of my example? or should that be discussed in another place? I'm not really a big forum person, love to read them but haven't ever been huge on participating until recently... My brother is to blame :)

edit: BTW I am using Firefox 3 on a windows 2000 machine, a little behind the times but it works...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Kyrandita wrote:the first one was this:
http://tech.lds.org/forum/register.php
Thanks for the clarifications -- that helps a lot! We'll get someone working on fixing those links.
Kyrandita wrote:... so is it ok to post a URL of my example? or should that be discussed in another place? I'm not really a big forum person, love to read them but haven't ever been huge on participating until recently... My brother is to blame :)
It's fine to post a URL of your example (assuming the URL points to a reasonable site, not crassly commercial or in any other way in violation of the Code of Conduct). That does sound like the best way for the community to see what you're proposing and provide feedback.
Kyrandita

Post by Kyrandita »

Yeah, thanks, I am overly worried about doing some things without permission. Until now I hadn't discovered the bottom links to the COC and Terms of Use so... I just wasn't sure whether this would be OK or not... anyway... here's the link...

Style Tables

Realistically this is only for endowed members obviously, I have always found it slow to navigate the various menus of styles to look at all the possibilities, obviously someone already knowing wht they want wouldn't have this issue but... I still thought having it all in one place would be easier...

I just took all the information from the various sub-categories of the site and stuck it into a table... made it use only tags from the currently existing CSS so no big changes would be neccesary... all Links should be valid, but seeing as they link to the REAL site you'll need to log into the member verification thing to be able to see anything beyond...

I also have the womens style table done, if anyone would like me to post that let me know...
Kyrandita

Another Attempt

Post by Kyrandita »

I made this PDF presentation to try to better explain what and why I'm suggesting this, I understand it's not really a HUGE need and that a full redesign of the site has been talked about for some time, but unless I totally misunderstand how this particular website works it should be nothing more than a copy paste of the edited section of my code into a Template, easy enough until a redesign is actually underway...

anyway, any comments or suggestions are always appreciated, this is my first finished webpage ever really, and I can't take any credit beyond the simple tables and data collection for all the links so I know that I have tons of room for improvement... I'll be happy to respond to any inquiries...

Oh, and after the PDF, here are the links to the examples as they currently stand, fully functional as long as you're logged into the membership verification on the real page...

Mens Style Table

Womens Style Table
Attachments
proposal.pdf
(38.75 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”