New spouse

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Edward Burch-p40

New spouse

Post by Edward Burch-p40 »

Can't remove a sister's deceased (non-member) spouse, and enter her new non-member spouse in MLS.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Edward Burch wrote:Can't remove a sister's deceased (non-member) spouse, and enter her new non-member spouse in MLS.
Is there a non-member record in MLS for the deceased spouse? If so, you can't edit the sister's spouse information while that non-member record still exists.

In this case, what you need to do is:
  1. Go into Membership > View and Update > Remove Nonmember.
  2. Find the non-member record for the deceased spouse and delete it.
  3. Go to the sister's Individual Record, then go to the Current Spouse page.
  4. The deceased husband's info will be there, but now it should be editable by clicking the Edit link.
  5. Enter information for the new spouse.
  6. If you want to add a non-member record for the new spouse, click the Add Spouse to Household link.
That should do it.
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

I would recommend going to Membership > Record Ordinances > Record Civil Marriage.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

13thfloorrocks wrote:I would recommend going to Membership > Record Ordinances > Record Civil Marriage.
This is certainly a good way to record the new marriage. But you still have to deal with removing the non-member record from MLS before this method will work, too.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I believe I encountered the same situation. Even if the death of the former spouse has been recorded the person still shows up until the new marriage is recorded.
Edward Burch-p40

Thanks

Post by Edward Burch-p40 »

Thanks for all the help. By using your suggestions I was able to solve the problem and make the Sister very happy.

Return to “Membership Help”