OpenOffice.org

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
HBG-p40

OpenOffice.org

Post by HBG-p40 »

I've put OpenOffice on all the 'puters in my stake because it's free and works well with the Microsoft office suite on everyone's home computers. When there's an internet connection, it even tells you when you need to download updates.....
Maybe a link to that site would be a good thing?
thomasjking

Post by thomasjking »

when we got our new computer for FHC in 2004 it came with O.O.org
- i am now trying O.O.org here at home so far it has been good---besides free
however it takes a while to download even with cable
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

thomasjking wrote:when we got our new computer for FHC in 2004 it came with O.O.org
- i am now trying O.O.org here at home so far it has been good---besides free
however it takes a while to download even with cable
You could always order the cd for a minimal charge. Try even downloading a legal copy of MS Office for distribution!

thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

nimebe wrote:You could always order the cd for a minimal charge. Try even downloading a legal copy of MS Office for distribution!

Hmm takes about 4 times longer for MS Office when I clocked it. Now of course that was only a legal copy of MS Office 2007 Pro (450 MB) which contains the same features as OO (98MB + 13.16MB (Java Distro)) though a difference of 5 mins to 1 min and 30 secs isn't too bad. :D
- David
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

thedqs wrote:Hmm takes about 4 times longer for MS Office when I clocked it.
That was my point! MSO is not designed for web distribution. I wouldn't even attempt it on my home dial-up connection. (I'll now accept your pity.)

thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

nimebe wrote:That was my point! MSO is not designed for web distribution. I wouldn't even attempt it on my home dial-up connection. (I'll now accept your pity.)

Dial-up, I wouldn't even attempt OO. But remember that MSO comes with all that Clip Art stuff which only comes on Open Office's CD version. But still I can see your point.
- David

Return to “Links & Resources”