Gathering info for 2010 Stake Calendar

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
bassguru-p40

Gathering info for 2010 Stake Calendar

Post by bassguru-p40 »

Looking for ideas on the best way to gather info that I will place on next years Stake calendar. The Stake Presidency wants to see a rough draft by October.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bassguru wrote:Looking for ideas on the best way to gather info that I will place on next years Stake calendar. The Stake Presidency wants to see a rough draft by October.
Generally it's a good idea to look at the 2009 calendar, since you will probably have most of the same events in 2010. There are a lot of events to be aware of:
  • Holidays -- you can find plenty of websites with these; most can be put on recurring events several years into the future so you don't have to keep looking them up (except for Easter).
  • Stake conference -- you should have received a letter from President Packer's office with your 2010 conference dates
  • Broadcasts -- you can see some of the anticipated dates in the thread 2010 Calendar.
  • School holidays -- many school districts have websites where you can find information on things such as graduation or spring break, that you may want to include (depending on the size of your stake).
  • Auxiliary plans -- ask the stake auxiliary presidents to give you tentative plans for their big events (youth conference, YW camp, scouting events, etc.). Give them a deadline at least a week ahead of your deadline.
  • etc.
Be aware that October might be a bit early -- it may be difficult to obtain some of these dates, such as school schedules, or scouting events. But at least you'll have the general framework into which you can plug the remaining events, and start resolving conflicts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bassguru wrote:Looking for ideas on the best way to gather info that I will place on next years Stake calendar. The Stake Presidency wants to see a rough draft by October.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that question, but I'd suggest that the various organizations submit their requests to the stake calendar in LUWS. Any changes can be made from there and when done, it's already in place.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:
  • School holidays -- many school districts have websites where you can find information on things such as graduation or spring break, that you may want to include (depending on the size of your stake).
Now you are really showing your regionalization! Here in our stake there are 21 school districts. Obviously because of the number we do not include any school information on the stake calendar.

Alan_Brown wrote:
  • Auxiliary plans -- ask the stake auxiliary presidents to give you tentative plans for their big events (youth conference, YW camp, scouting events, etc.). Give them a deadline at least a week ahead of your deadline.
This is our biggest source of calendar information. Our calendar scheduling coordinator sends out a broadcast e-mail to auxiliaries to start inputing events beginning in August. Those inputs either go directly to the LUWS calendar through the submit event feature. Some go to the calendar scheduling coordinator by e-mail. He then submits the events to the LUWS calendar. By end September we usually have a good start on populating the web calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Now you are really showing your regionalization!
Not really -- I've lived in places other than Utah. Rather, I noticed that the person asking the question was in Mesa, Arizona. I'm pretty sure that in Mesa there are many cases where a stake fits inside a school district.
bassguru-p40

Post by bassguru-p40 »

Thanks for the ideas!

(BTW, Mesa public schools is the largest in the State and should have all the school info I need)
bassguru-p40

2010 Stake Calendar

Post by bassguru-p40 »

I am entering events on the stake calendar. It always shows the first event listed on that date at the top, and any other events below it. Is there any way to show the events starting with the earliest time at the top and then go in order to the latest time? In other words, I might list an event that starts at 7:00pm and then the next day add an event at 10:00AM. The 7pm event would be at the top and the 10am beneath it. How can I reverse their order on the calendar?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bassguru wrote:I am entering events on the stake calendar. It always shows the first event listed on that date at the top, and any other events below it. Is there any way to show the events starting with the earliest time at the top and then go in order to the latest time? In other words, I might list an event that starts at 7:00pm and then the next day add an event at 10:00AM. The 7pm event would be at the top and the 10am beneath it. How can I reverse their order on the calendar?
I've never seen that. For me it is always the case that I see:
  1. All events with no time specified. These are usually in the order I added them.
  2. All events with a starting time, listed in chronological order (earliest event at the top).
Are you indeed specifying the time for the event using the dropdown for "Start Time" (not just putting the start time in the Title of the event)? That's about the only thing I can think of that might affect the order. Obviously mixing up AM and PM could also confuse things, but it looks like you were very careful to specify AM and PM properly.
bassguru-p40

Post by bassguru-p40 »

I have been putting some of the times in the title...Thanks so much for the tip!
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

In our ward we've just noticed that there seems to be a problem with ward calendar. For some reason, it is not showing any of the Stake Events and usually all the stake events will appear on our calendar. Is there an actual glitch in the system or are we missing something here?

Thanks,
Jamie

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”