What to do with a child record?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
raklet-p40

What to do with a child record?

Post by raklet-p40 »

This one is complicated. Let me see if I can line it out.

Jane and John (an unwed couple) had a child. The child was blessed in Ward A and was placed in MLS as a child of record.

The child's record is still in Ward A and shows living with parent Jane as head of household, but Jane has signed away all parental rights to the child and given the child to John.

John is not raising the child. The child is living with its grandparents in Ward B (my ward). The grandparents don't like the child's given name and are calling it something else (I don't know if it was changed legally or only informally). The grandparent's raising the child are not members of the church.

So.....

In which ward does the child's record belong? Who is the head of house? What do you do about parent information? What name for the child should be on the record?

Arggh!

Thanks
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

The distances between the wards, and ward attendance are key
factors to consider.
Strictly speaking, I would guess that the child should be listed
as a HofH in the non-member grandparents' ward.
However, if the parents were unwed, then the CHI should definitely
be consulted. I doubt the child would be considered a "child of record"
in this case. Also, there should be a check to see if the child has been
legally adopted by the grandparents.
If the child attends the ward with the father, then that is where
the record should reside for the sake of the child. You need all sorts
of permissions to do so "officially", but most wards tend to skip burdening
those higher up for such requests for permission, when they feel the
child is better served in a ward in which they do not geographically
live.

Lots of issues to work out, but unless the child is already attending
church outside of their geographical boundaries, they should be
attending the ward serving where they live. The preferred name
on the record can be changed if the child wishes it, until you can
determine whether the grandparents actually legally changed
the name of the child.

- Atticus
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

raklet wrote:Jane and John (an unwed couple) had a child. The child was blessed in Ward A and was placed in MLS as a child of record.

The child's record is still in Ward A and shows living with parent Jane as head of household, but Jane has signed away all parental rights to the child and given the child to John.

John is not raising the child. The child is living with its grandparents in Ward B (my ward). The grandparents don't like the child's given name and are calling it something else (I don't know if it was changed legally or only informally). The grandparent's raising the child are not members of the church.

So.....

In which ward does the child's record belong?
Atticus has addressed some of the issues. The primary consideration as to where the record is kept is where the member lives. For those few situations that are exceptions are best handled and answered by local priesthood leaders. For more details refer to the CHI, Book 1, 2006, p 145-148.
raklet wrote:Who is the head of house?
For a member child living in a household with nonmembers the head-of-household would be the member child.
raklet wrote:What do you do about parent information?
For a child's record, MLS has a 'Parents' information section in the Member Record in which you can input any of the information you may have for the parents - name, birthdate, and member record.
raklet wrote:What name for the child should be on the record?
The name on the record should be the legal name of the child. If the birth certificate is available or any legal name change document then the name on that document should be used. There is a provision for a preferred name. If the child goes by the name used by the grandparents then enter that name in the preferred name field.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
greggo

Post by greggo »

Just my 2 cents ....

By policy, the child's name on the record must be it's legal name, but there is no reason to not include a different preferred name in the local MLS database.

Regarding which ward/stake the child's record should reside, you should have all parties involved (grandparents, father, bishops/stake presidents) discuss the issue and come to a resolution.

As mentioned, by church policy, a person's record should reside in the ward within which a person physically resides (unless there is approval from the 1st presidency to do otherwise). However, local leaders have been known to unofficially allow members records to be in wards within which they do not reside, because their needs will be more effectively met that way.

As mentioned, there are all sorts of possibilities on how this situation can be handled, but bottom line, you should consult with local priesthood leaders on how to proceed.

You didn't mention if the father was a member, so if the only reason the record was created in the first place is because the mother requested it, it is certainly within the rights of the child's legal guardians to have the record removed. It is also OK to have the child's legal guardian added as a non-member record in MLS (if they give permission) and make them the head of household.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”