What positions can be check signers?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
nobackyard-p40

What positions can be check signers?

Post by nobackyard-p40 »

Is there any guidance as to what positions can be check signers? Particularly, may a Ward Clerk be a check signer to "back up" a financial clerk?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nobackyard wrote:Is there any guidance as to what positions can be check signers? Particularly, may a Ward Clerk be a check signer to "back up" a financial clerk?
Yes and Yes. The MLS Help file says (topic "Signature Card"):
Complete the full name, position, and phone number information for each person who is authorized to sign Church checks in your unit. These generally will include the following:
  • Bishop
  • Bishopric counselors
  • Ward clerk
  • Clerk assigned to finances
  • Executive secretary
In my experience, I have never seen an executive secretary having signature authority, but the others have always been included. Even though from the bank's position, a check signed by the ward clerk and financial clerk would be valid, that would not be correct, since the MLS Help file also says (topic "Checks"):
Two authorized signers sign each check. One must be a member of the bishopric (ward checks) or stake presidency (stake checks).
So the ward clerk can certainly be a second signer in addition to a bishopric member, if the financial clerk is unavailable.
nobackyard-p40

Thanks!

Post by nobackyard-p40 »

Thank you!
elesel-p40

Post by elesel-p40 »

As Executive Secretary I've been on the signature card when there's room for me to be there. We currently have two assistant clerks and one ward clerk, all of whom are on the signature card. There was a week a while back we almost didn't get a check out because too many folks were out of town at the time. The Bishop decided that he didn't want that to happen again...

Return to “Local Unit Finance”