Replacing computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lorraine1950

Replacing computers

Post by lorraine1950 »

We have a new building being built in our stake that will house two wards when finished, maybe three by then. We are also due to have the computers in our stake replaced this year and next, CHQ won't replace them all at once we're told.
Question: Do we need to replace the computers for the wards moving into the new building, or are new computers included in the new building?
I've done searches on this forum, and find no information about whether new computers are included in new buildings.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

E&LDow wrote:We have a new building being built in our stake that will house two wards when finished, maybe three by then. We are also due to have the computers in our stake replaced this year and next, CHQ won't replace them all at once we're told.
Question: Do we need to replace the computers for the wards moving into the new building, or are new computers included in the new building?
I've done searches on this forum, and find no information about whether new computers are included in new buildings.
Computers are associated with a unit, not with a building. If a unit changes buildings, they take the computer with them. If a new unit is created, then a computer (probably a new one, depending on what the local FM Group has in inventory) is assigned to the new unit. But simply moving into a different building has no effect on the computer assigned to the unit. A move also should have no effect on the replacement schedule.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

E&LDow wrote:We have a new building being built in our stake that will house two wards when finished, maybe three by then. We are also due to have the computers in our stake replaced this year and next, CHQ won't replace them all at once we're told.
I would think that the wards would use their existing computers. They would only be getting new ones if they meet the requirements for an upgrade. On the other hand, if a new ward is organized then they would be provided with the equipment required, which would include a new PC.

Edit: oops looks like Alan beat me to it.

All of this is my own opinion as I do not work in any official capacity. However, I have dealt with our FM group and this is how it's been done in our area.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks. I appreciate that.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I'm not sure how up-to-date this is, but I would also steer you to this discussion (and the few replies following it). The main point, due to the downturn in the economy, FM budgets are tight. Therefore, FM groups may only replace a computer if it fails and not just because it's old.

So I'm not sure if you were planning on it or not, but don't expect new computers for the existing units.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks again, crislapi, I went to that thread and read it. Very useful info.

Return to “Clerk Computers”