General Conference on Windows 7 RC is not working

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

General Conference on Windows 7 RC is not working

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I was wondering if others have similar problems as me.

I have installed Windows 7 RC on an old desktop PC connected to the flatscreen in the sitting room.

It is mostly used to watch online video from lds.org, BBC iPlayer and other similar ones but the one thing I cannot get to work is watching the General Conference archive using the Move Network interface.

It will install the plug in fine (I have uninstalled and reinstalled too) and it will load the page and show how long the clip is but it will not start the clip. It is the same in FF and IE.
We have other PC's with XP on where it is working fine.

Are we saying Move Network is not working very well with Windows 7 or is it just me?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

From this blog it appears that there may be a check for operating system when some sites are accessed. The blog recommendation is to first install the MoveMedia player from their site then install site specific pluggins from the site you want to use.

Since I am not running Windows 7 I don't know if this blog recommendation will work or not.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

jdlessley wrote:From this blog it appears that there may be a check for operating system when some sites are accessed. The blog recommendation is to first install the MoveMedia player from their site then install site specific pluggins from the site you want to use.

Since I am not running Windows 7 I don't know if this blog recommendation will work or not.
I also saw that blog when I googled for an answer but as soon as I install it from the main site then the detection from lds.org think it is installed and doesnt offer me an opportunity to install their version.
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

There are a couple of possibilities here. First, there may be a security settings issue in IE 8. You might check the default programs and access settings. The other possibility is that the Move Client is not supported in Windows 7 yet. Remember that it is a release candidate not a commercial product.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I've got Windows 7 RTM (Release to Manufacturing) that has a few minor changes from the RC version. So far, I've only run it as a VM, but soon I'll be putting it on some real hardware, I can then run through the steps you've outlined and see if it still has issues with the Move player.

Just curious, was your Windows 7 version Ultimate, or some other flavor? Was it x86 or x64?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Mikerowaved wrote:I've got Windows 7 RTM (Release to Manufacturing) that has a few minor changes from the RC version. So far, I've only run it as a VM, but soon I'll be putting it on some real hardware, I can then run through the steps you've outlined and see if it still has issues with the Move player.

Just curious, was your Windows 7 version Ultimate, or some other flavor? Was it x86 or x64?
Hey Mike,

I have now downloaded (from my MSDN) and installed the Windows 7 RTM Ultimate edition (x86) and I have the same issues as before.

I can run 6 different TV stations archieved and live streaming which run in a combination of Flash and Windows Media Players but I cannot run anything with MoveNetwork (church or their own site).

If I use XP on my laptop it is fine.

Kenneth
natet

Post by natet »

I've been able to watch sessions of conference in both IE and Firefox on Windows 7 Ultimate RC. In IE, I had to give the page permission to install the add on, but after that it worked fine.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

natet wrote:I've been able to watch sessions of conference in both IE and Firefox on Windows 7 Ultimate RC. In IE, I had to give the page permission to install the add on, but after that it worked fine.
There could be some differences between RC and RTM versions. But it could also just be a different, unrelated setting or configuration that is giving dkjorgi problems.
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

dkjorgi wrote:Hey Mike,

I have now downloaded (from my MSDN) and installed the Windows 7 RTM Ultimate edition (x86) and I have the same issues as before.

I can run 6 different TV stations archieved and live streaming which run in a combination of Flash and Windows Media Players but I cannot run anything with MoveNetwork (church or their own site).

If I use XP on my laptop it is fine.

Kenneth
I came home for the weekend to visit my family so i havent had time to play with this yet. I am running windows 7 on my laptop and have had only 1 program that has not worked becuase of the of the OS. i do have the 64-bit by the way..

The pogram was one from a site that independent study uses and it will only work on xp and vista. however if there is really an issue here in your case with windows 7 I'm almost certain it is ONLY move networks and not the church seeing as how the church and the engineers have been playing with Windows 7 for a while and we will be pushing windows 7 out hopefully by the end of the year as the new church desktop.

Return to “General Discussions”