Help tracking missing check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
RossEvans

Help tracking missing check

Post by RossEvans »

We cut a fast-offering assistance check to the landlord of a member family July 29 and mailed it that day, but the landlord is telling the family they have not received it.

I need to determine ASAP whether this check has cleared without waiting for the monthly financial statement. (It likely would not have cleared in time to make the July statement.) If the check has not cleared yet, we can void it, stop payment and write a replacement. But I would like to know this fact before I contact the landlord.

Can Clerk Support for Finance give me that information over the phone, and can they send us a copy of the cancelled check if there is one?

Can someone share with me the right phone number to call Clerk Support for Finance? It seems to have dropped off the wall in our clerk's office.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:We cut a fast-offering assistance check to the landlord of a member family July 29 and mailed it that day, but the landlord is telling the family they have not received it.

I need to determine ASAP whether this check has cleared without waiting for the monthly financial statement.
You can look in MLS at the check under View/Update Expenses. The Status column should say "Sent" or "Cleared", which will tell you if the check has cleared. Of course you would want to do a Send/Receive first to make sure your information is as current as possible.

But certainly Clerk Support can tell you if the check has cleared, and they can also get you a copy of the check with its endorsements. It's been a few years, but I had to do that once when I was a ward financial clerk, and Clerk Support was able to provide a copy.

The finance support number is 800-537-5932, or you can just call the usual number for Clerk Support, and listen to the menu for issues related to finances.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:You can look in MLS at the check under View/Update Expenses. The Status column should say "Sent" or "Cleared", which will tell you if the check has cleared. Of course you would want to do a Send/Receive first to make sure your information is as current as possible.

Thanks, I will go to the office ASAP and try your suggestions.

I have never paid attention to the "Cleared" flag in MLS. I naively thought it just meant we had manually checked off the item during reconciliation.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown,

My problem is resolved. Thanks again. Clerk support confirmed that the check in question cleared in early August, and the landlord now acknowledges receipt.

I think we still may have a misunderstanding about the "Cleared" flag in MLS. I looked at the expense items after a fresh send/receive this morning. None of our July checks show "Cleared." They all show "Sent." (I have not even begun reconciliation for July.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:I think we still may have a misunderstanding about the "Cleared" flag in MLS. I looked at the expense items after a fresh send/receive this morning. None of our July checks show "Cleared." They all show "Sent." (I have not even begun reconciliation for July.)
You're right. I had a little brain cramp as I posted too hastily. Indeed, the Cleared status relates to whether or not the item has been checked off during Reconciliation. Thanks for keeping me straight!
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

boomerbubba wrote:Clerk support confirmed that the check in question cleared in early August, and the landlord now acknowledges receipt.

Ah, the old "I didn't get your check, give me a new one" scam. At least he acknowledges he cashed it once you said it had cleared. :rolleyes:

Return to “Local Unit Finance”