Thoughts on GEDCOM search engine

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
Stephan-p40

Thoughts on GEDCOM search engine

Post by Stephan-p40 »

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site so please bear with me.

A while ago I started a little project which was basically a GEDCOM file search engine. The Plan was to get it so it would crawl the internet looking for GEDCOM files and then indexing their location and then parsing them into a database. This means that people could search for names, dates and places and if a match was found they could go to the website and look for more information.

I was wondering what others think about the idea and if it would maybe a usefull feature for FamilySearch?

What do you guys think?
garysturn

GEDCOM sites

Post by garysturn »

Because there are so many places to get GEDCOM's I don't see much use for another, especially since new FamilySearch will be moving away from GEDCOM's and toward syncing software. But if you created a site that found GEDCOM's and provided access to them, I am sure it would get used. There are a lot of sites on the web where people can submit their GEDCOM's and other users can go there and download them, including Ancestry.com. Pedigree Resourse File is also the Church's collection of submitted GEDCOM files sent to them, these are all indexed at FamilySearch.org and the GEDCOM's are available at most FHC's for downloading or you can purchase the CD's from the Distribution Center. All of the Pedigree Resource file will go online with new FamilySearch when it is released.

There is also a commercial site that seeks out and links to GEDCOM files all over the world, (I don't know if they use a crawler program to find files) they already have millions of names all linked to the GEDCOM file the name came from and available for download. Here is a link to their site.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct

Return to “Family History”