Java LDS Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mkdnprtt-p40

Java LDS Scriptures

Post by mkdnprtt-p40 »

I am trying to find some LDS scriptures in the Java format that I can use on my new phone (Samsung Eternity). Have any ideas?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

mkdnprtt wrote:I am trying to find some LDS scriptures in the Java format that I can use on my new phone (Samsung Eternity). Have any ideas?
What do you mean by "Java format"? Java is a computer programming language, not a data format. Java programs can work with a wide variety of data formats. What actual data format are you looking for?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

rmrichesjr wrote:What do you mean by "Java format"? Java is a computer programming language, not a data format. Java programs can work with a wide variety of data formats. What actual data format are you looking for?
It appears he might be looking for a Java application instead.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

The Eternity has a proprietary Samsung OS, (like we need yet another one :o) so don't hold your breath for a scripture reader to be rolled out any time soon for it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkdnprtt-p40

Post by mkdnprtt-p40 »

My samsung phone, like many phones, can only load Java applications. I am not a programmer, but would it be so difficult to make lds scriptures as a java application(.jar or .jad)? Or does one exist already?

Wouldnt it make sense to have it available, as many computer based platforms (including most cell phones) support Java?

Thanks in advance for your help!
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

As others said before. Java is a program language. If you are looking for a simple Text reader; I think your equipement has already one, then you need only TXT file of the scriptures.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
mkdnprtt-p40

Post by mkdnprtt-p40 »

Im sorry if my original question is difficult to understand. I would like to have a program, similar to the Scriptures app for the iphone, where I could jump between books, chapters, verses, etc., just written in Java with a .jar or .jad file extension. Anyone know if something like that exists, or if it could be easily written?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

mkdnprtt wrote:Im sorry if my original question is difficult to understand. I would like to have a program, similar to the Scriptures app for the iphone, where I could jump between books, chapters, verses, etc., just written in Java with a .jar or .jad file extension. Anyone know if something like that exists, or if it could be easily written?
I don't know if it exist, but if so even Linux users could use it (and this is not the case right now), but I'm sure it's not easily writing. Most of all because scriptures data format! And I don't think that the one used by Church is an Open format too!
If it is, let me know it and I will do the program!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

mkdnprtt wrote:Im sorry if my original question is difficult to understand. I would like to have a program, similar to the Scriptures app for the iphone, where I could jump between books, chapters, verses, etc., just written in Java with a .jar or .jad file extension. Anyone know if something like that exists, or if it could be easily written?
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I don't know of anything that currently exists. Developing a Java application shouldn't be very difficult, but it would take some time--between a few days and a few months, depending on how much functionality is needed. There will be two major components:

First, there will need to be a way to capture the text of the scriptures. Each user would need to download the data, transform it, and load it into the phone. Distributing the text with the application would violate Church copyright unless permission were obtained, and getting that permission would not be feasible a small-scale project. So, some program would have to be written to do the download and transform.

Second, the application on the phone itself would take the bulk of the work. In theory, Java would allow one program to work on any platform. In practice, there are undoubtedly differences in screen size and layout, I/O methods, and perhaps other OS-specific issues that would have be solved separately for each make and model of phone.

The user base for this application would be the intersection of the sets of 1) Church members who want scriptures on their phone, and 2) owners of the specific phone the application is written for. Unless there is someone willing to do the work himself/herself or someone willing to pay for the work, I would fear that intersection would be too small to develop such an application except for perhaps a couple of phones with the largest market share.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

rmrichesjr wrote:The user base for this application would be the intersection of the sets of 1) Church members who want scriptures on their phone, and 2) owners of the specific phone the application is written for. Unless there is someone willing to do the work himself/herself or someone willing to pay for the work, I would fear that intersection would be too small to develop such an application except for perhaps a couple of phones with the largest market share.

I think that is exactly right, which is why the church's own development effort is starting with a scriptures app for the iPhone. That platform has a large market share. Other apps on competitive platforms may follow and may be able to reuse some of the code, but the differences among operating systems and devices are not trivial. Java lends itself to portability, but it is not close to plug-and-play on diverse devices.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”