Dead for years

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
erikthorwallace

Dead for years

Post by erikthorwallace »

I am a new membership clerk and on reviewing records with bishop and members we have found a member who we know to be dead but can't find a death date. Her family is not in this area and I couldn't find the information from the local newspaper. I have her name and DOB and have tried google serches and the like but with no success.

Does anyone know a good place to look for death dates?
Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

For recent deaths, or deaths less than a year ago, if you know the county in which they died you can do a web search for death notices or obituaries in that county and state. My father died in June and is not listed yet in the Social Security Death Index. I was able to find his obituary that way. Searching the local newspaper obituaries will also help for recent deaths not yet listed in the Social Security Death Index.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jdlessley wrote:My father died in June and is not listed yet in the Social Security Death Index.
I seem to recall hearing that the Social Security Death index gets updated about every 3 months or so, so you might have to wait 6 months or more for an update depending on how close to the last update cut-off date the death occurred.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

The title of the thread is "Dead for years," so it doesn't seem likely for it to not be recorded in the SSDI by now. I would think that is your best bet.
erikthorwallace

Post by erikthorwallace »

I got it! It was even pretty quick and easy. Right ther in the SSDI. Thanks for all the help

Return to “Membership Help”